Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...

I've been working on my 65 Comet for about three years now and I'm currently working the body....which never seems to stop.

Earlier on, I built the 289 up (with help from this forum) ...my first time and has since been resting on an engine cart.

Well since this was my first time, I'd like to start her up and break her in on the engine cart prior to installing her in the engine bay. I wouldn't be surprised if I have problems and would like not to have to pull her again especially since I don't plan to finally install her until after I complete my paint job.

Was hoping for some input prior to me doing this....any lessons learned from others that have done this...any obvious no-no's that I'm not aware of.

Not sure how to handle the cooling. Should I mount a radiator with the hoses....what have you guys done...etc..

any input would be greatly appreciated....

thanks

george

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
There are special engine run stands. Most that I've seen are home built. You would need a radiator, hoses, starter, battery, gauges, and ignition. The engine storage cart is not a good platform for running an engine.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
it would be a lot easyer to put it in for the brake in.. If you talking about one of those engine stands you rebuild them on NOT A GOOD IDEA.... the torque of the motor will flip the motor over for sure... unless you chain the stand down to the floor.
tim

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have used engine stand with some angle iron bolt to the motor mounts and welded to the frame, worked for decades. On the flipside you do have alot of corresponding things you need to do a run, ignition, gas, radiator, gauges, exhaust etc etc.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I've started and ran many engines just sitting on the floor...The problem with a new engine is you will have to break in the camshaft.This means running it at around 2000 rpms for 20 minutes..You will need a good cooling system to be able to do this and not overheat the engine.This means a securely mounted engine and rad so you will be able to use a fan and not chew up hoses etc..

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Don't forget to keep the upper radiator hose running uphill, with the radiator higher than the intake manifold (just like in the car) so that any air pockets end up in the radiator, not the engine.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input...I was worried about the cooling and the cart I have and the engine turning it over....

I'll need to really think this one through....I'll repost once I decide which way I'm going...or have built my jig to hold the engine firm and properly mount the radiator...

George

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Here is a pic of my modified engine stand that I started a 331 on almost 4 years ago. Everything is in the pic except the gas can and battery I had on the floor when I started it. I broke it in on the stand and fixed any discovered issues which was limited to a leaking intake manifold.

The small stanchions you see welded to the corners of the stand were not necessary. The engine does not fall over when you rev it up unless you put a load on it. Just a couple of 50 lb sandbags will do the trick.

331 on stand

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: blkfrd on 11/2/06 5:42am ]</font>

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Yup you'll need mufflers so you can hear any ticks or knocks etc...A mechanical oil pressure and temp gauge are also easy to hook up(don't need any power) and a necessity with a new motor.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I built an engine test bed stand to pre-run the 342" stroker in the Fastback. Before I was finished, it had a full mechanical gauge instrument panel, including a 66 Mustang ignition key for starting. There was a place on the rear for the battery too. I mounted the MSD ignition system, aluminum radiator, bellhousing, Centerforce clutch, alternator, etc, which were all components that were to be installed in the car. Everything was checked out on the stand. It was worth it as a small oil leak was dectected around the pan area and I was able to fix it before the engine went in the car. The stand was painted Ford blue, and was on casters for moving it around. Unfortunately, after all the work, it was only used once.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts