Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is driving me nuts. Recently I have been having a huge problem trying to start my car. When I turn the key to start I can hear the starter selenoid clicking. Now I can try to keep starting the car until I'm blue in the face without success but sometimes it will start. Here is a list of the symptoms.

1. Not the neutral safety switch, had that checked out and looks good.

2. The turn signals or hazzards will not work in Run pos. (except after the car is running)

3. I can easily start the car with a remote push button in the engine compartment that the previous owner installed.

4. IF the car is warm, it always starts first time with the key.

I realize this is some type of short in the steering column but before I get midevil on it, I was hoping someone might have ran into the same issue.

Thanks

Addition: Its a 1970 Mustang, just in case the steering wheel/Park lock could be the issue.

Right after I posted I got a call that my Haynes book finally arrived at the shop. Well I am defnitely not an electrical engineer, but if I read this correctly could the problem involve my brake warning switch?
The idiot lights have never worked and I have had a slight problem with the dash/gauges. My oil presure, fuel and temp gauges (right side) do not work unless the headlights are on (park or full) and then they read high.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tmatthews on 6/7/02 4:18am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tmatthews on 6/7/02 4:18am ]</font>

·
Programmer
856 Posts
sounds to me like you need to take your battery terminals off, clean them, and put them back on tight. Sometimes it helps to hit them with a hammer, lightly, to get them on there snug.

chris

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The battery cables are fairly fresh, the problem it seems is I am not getting enough power to the starter selenoid. I don't have a volt meter but will buy one tomorrow, anyone know how much voltage I am suppose to get at the post? I know I am getting some voltage there since I do have one of those simple light testers and the light does light up though dimly.

Of course as I mentioned there is a momentary switch between the POS battery cable and the selenoid switch and that will start the car.

·
Registered
90 Posts
First, Run a ground wire from the engine to the body, from the battery to the body and battery to engine. This might help with the gages. #2 there should be 12v at the solenoid when in the start position.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.