Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 69 fairlane and a 79 Lincoln. The Lincoln is having starting problems. I'm not great working with electrical so I may end up towing it to a garage.

I had a problem with the starter staying engaged so I had it bench checked and it was OK. Then put it back on car and it still stays engaged after starting. So I ended up replacing Solenoid,cables, ignition switch and starter switch (halfway on the steering column). It still had the problem after all of this so I went ahead and replaced the starter with a new starter not rebuilt. I thought maybe the starter was periodically jamming internally?

So this afternoon I put the new starter on and as soon as I tried to reconnect the battery cable the car wanted to start. I tried disconnecting the ignition switch from the starter switch on the column and it still wanted to start when I tried to reconnect battery cable.

Need ideas really want to get this back on the road.

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
WIRE YOUR CAR correctly please :)

Red wire with blue stripe goes to the "S" post on the solenoid, Brown wire goes to the "I" post on the solenoid,

Battery + goes to the side of the solenoid that the "S" terminal is closest to

Starter lead goes to solenoid side that's on the opposite side.

NO OTHER WIRE goes on the Starter side of the Solenoid.

Get test light. Ground it and put it to the "S" terminal on the solenoid and with battery connected there should be NO LIGHT until you turn the Key all the was to Crank, that's the ONLY time there is ever any power to the S terminal.

Go forth and do good things young seeker of the Ford :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts