Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas,
I had a brain fart. When a car won't start when it is hot out, was that usually a starter solenoid problem?

·
Registered
521 Posts
I had this problem. My starter was getting heat soaked because it was too close to the headers. I put on a wraparound heat shield blanket on it and cured the problem.Gm products usually have this problem because the solenoid is on the starter.
Bob

·
Registered
521 Posts
I had this problem. My starter was getting heat soaked because it was too close to the headers. I put on a wraparound heat shield blanket on it and cured the problem.Gm products usually have this problem because the solenoid is on the starter.
Bob

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Could also be timing thats too far advanced. Does the vehicle even have headers? If so it could be heat soak, but not likely due to fords starter designs. My 460's starter is practically encased by the header, and I havent had any heat soak problems. Id also check to be sure that your connections to the battery are clean, and the cables are in good shape. Do some of your basic checks, and move on from there.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
how old is this starter? It could be the bushings are worn allowing the armature to drag against the field coils or be too close. I have never seen a Ford solenoid on the fender go bad in 30 years. I know some that have had them go bad, but very infrequent.

As others mentioned, check the timing and possibly replace the starter.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, to be honest guys, it is a Honda Accord. But it's not mine!!! It belongs to a girl I kind of have a thing for. It is bone stock(no ricer crap). She had an intermitten problem getteng it to start before because the spark plug cylinders were leaking oil leaving the plug wires and sparkplugs submerged. I cleaned them out and replaced ger gasket. I checked the plugs and they are clean as a whistle. She still has problems starting on hot days, not neccisarily after she has been driving. I am thinking it is the starter solenoid because her ex replaced her old starter for her with a remanufactured model. She was so impressed by the guy and believed him when he said that this was alot of work. I had to break the news to her that it is only two bolts, as I had the upper end of her motor in pieces on the ground. Heh heh!

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
You probably already know this but, remanufactured does not necessarily mean good. Check the solenoid closely. Other than that, I'd start looking at grounds. Good luck with the car and the girl!

Good to hear from you again Cheesy. Been a while. How's the Stang?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts