Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy new year all.

I have a 64 galaxie, 302, 2bbl autolite (remanufactured, recently installed). Though I need to make some adjustments to the carb settings, the car has been running well overall.

Well, a couple weeks ago I returned home after a 2.5 hour trip - no issues.

Then, the next time I started the car, started normally ... then stalled after maybe a couple minutes. Then it wouldn't start. Then it did. Idled fine. Stalled. Today I tried after letting the car sit a few days. Same problem, except I noticed that when I gave her too much throttle in idle, she would bog down and want to stall. Then she did.

Not sure where to start, but I filled her w/ gas before the 2.5 hour trip. So I don't think it's bad gas. Perhaps a partially clogged fuel filter? Perhaps fuel pump-related?

Any guidance most appreciated ... thanks.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
When I had a problem like you describe it turned out to be the fuel filter between the pump and carb. The real problem was trash in the fuel tank, ended up removing, cleaning and sealing the tank.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
If you have points check them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked the points. They were a little out - supposed to be .017 to .021 and they were about .024. Not the cause though. I'm going to buy a new fuel filter and add an in-line fuel filter before the fuel pump. I'd be surprised if I need to flush the whole tank; drove the car from CT to FL in August without issue, and that was after the car had sat for a while. I guess it only takes a bit of junk to cause a problem. Will be back with an update ....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turned out to be a stuck float. Few raps on the top of the carb was all it took. Thanks for the help ...

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
I would like to know this answer, too! Sometimes she fires up and idles great for 15 sec and then just quits. Got to pump her to keep going. After 40 sec she idles and runs fine. Not a big problem unless the battery is low but been wondering what the deal was.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts