Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Same engine, all conditions the same. Best overall? Or am I not comparing apples to apples. Is this just a matter of choice?

·
Registered
991 Posts
I like the RPM, I have used it for what seems like decades.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does it matter, maybe I'm talking apples to oranges.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
On 2006-11-06 20:21, Motorhead wrote:
What engine are we talking about?
I would assume the 306 he has "coming together" in his signature.
If you ask me, I think they're pretty much the same and have about the same rpm range.....don't they?

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, I asked the question assuming (something I should never do) that one or more persons on the forum has used both of the two manifolds in question. The two same to fall in the same category as to what each Mfg. sells for a given performance level. So what motor you put either on shouldn't matter if indeed they have similiar characteristics. Am I wrong in thinking they are that closely related for a given performance level?

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[No message]

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
On 2006-11-07 14:18, retyler wrote:
OK, I asked the question assuming (something I should never do) that one or more persons on the forum has used both of the two manifolds in question. The two same to fall in the same category as to what each Mfg. sells for a given performance level. So what motor you put either on shouldn't matter if indeed they have similiar characteristics. Am I wrong in thinking they are that closely related for a given performance level?
The information you cited is correct. They are both high performance dual planes and they will both perform similiarly. Neither will have much of an edge over the other.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Dennis. So for nostalgic reasons, I think I will go with the Stealth if indeed it will fit in my Falcon on top of a 302 with the hood closed.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
On 2006-11-06 20:24, retyler wrote:
You've got an interesting attitude to say your asking for advice
...Too add my .02 cents I never assume the same type of manifold will perform the same on a different engine size....The older edelbrock torquer II for example is regarded as being decent on a 351 but not so good on a 302..I've never seen a direct dyno comparison between a stealth and an rpm manifold so I don't know..What I do know is I have never seen a stealth equipped engine that really impressed me. I have seen lots of rpm equipped engines that did but that might be just due to the rpm intakes being used on more engines.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
On 2006-11-07 15:33, frdnut wrote:
What I do know is I have never seen a stealth equipped engine that really impressed me.
Not even mine...lol

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
On 2006-11-07 14:18, retyler wrote:
Do you think I would have asked if it didn't matter? Do you think I just ask random questions for the helluvit? Yes for a 302 they are virtually identical. On the 351 as stated the Stealth is a taller design and thus gives a slight edge towards a higher winding engine. Same with the 460, the Stealth has larger runners and has been shown in dyno tests to produce more power through the whole power curve... but the 460 RPM will accept a spreadbore carb (Qjet) so that is another factor to consider. So in short, yes it DOES matter which engine, but in the case of the 302 I think they are virtually identical performance-wise.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On 2006-11-07 15:33, frdnut wrote:
You've got an interesting attitude to say your asking for advice
...Too add my .02 cents I never assume the same type of manifold will perform the same on a different engine size....The older edelbrock torquer II for example is regarded as being decent on a 351 but not so good on a 302..I've never seen a direct dyno comparison between a stealth and an rpm manifold so I don't know..What I do know is I have never seen a stealth equipped engine that really impressed me. I have seen lots of rpm equipped engines that did but that might be just due to the rpm intakes being used on more engines.
So you didn't read my post or you didn't understand my quiry? I did not ask for advice. I only asked if one had a performance value greater than the other used on the SAME motor, not two different motors or three different motors. I don't follow trends or drink the coolaid. If the two meet the same criteria with similiar results then I will choose based on personal preference. I see weiands used on a lot of Chevys. Chevys win most of the races. There are more Chevys on the track than there are others, but that doesn't sway me to buy a chevy. I like Fords and I will buy and drive Fords even though they aren't as popular and the same goes for manifolds unless one is better than the other and that is all I was trying to find out. So far I've gotten two revelant answers. I will leave it at that.

·
Registered
865 Posts
On a 347 engine that was making 440 HP, the RPM was 5 HP better at the peak, and 10 better 500 past the peak. Most manifolds increase HP when you add a one inch open spacer. By the way, the air gap is no better if there is no exhaust crossover in the heads. JOE SHERMAN RACING

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Joe, that is the infomation I was looking for.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
For whats its worth... I thought the stealth was better than the RPM on my combo... but by no means am I an expert. No dyno numbers... just seat of the pants.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts