Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would changing the intake on my 289 make better bottom end with the Stealth. I have a 289 with the following: 194/150 stainless valves, Probe forged pistons, balanced rotating assembly, Comp Cams 270hr, Beehive springs, Edlebrock f4b, Holley 570.

Cheers

Greg

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
The F4B has very short runners on the middle cylinders, so I would expect the Stealth or an RPM design to make better bottom-end. I wouldn't expect it to make a huge difference though, the 289 isn't a bottom-end engine, you have to let it rev with low gears, then it'll feel like it's got lots of torque. :)

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had it up it the rpm range and pulls hard after 2500 to 5800. Never tried to get the rpm up although it wanted to go.

Cheers

Greg

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Per Joe Sherman the F4B was pretty crappy all around. I believe he was at Edelbrock when they started testing the then-new Performer RPM. The F4B couldn't compare. But there are people building nostalgia cars that will pay top dollar for an F4B. I bought one at a yard sale for $30, sold it on eBay for $138!

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
There's some info missing to really help you out on this like gear ratio, trans type (and converter stall if auto), compression, etc. but unless you're running at higher RPM's I'd consider the Performer. I'm running the Performer RPM on my combo but it's so much different that yours. Either Edlebrocks might work but don't go overboard on intakes or your performance will suffer.

John

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think I will be taking this car into the higher rpm range soon. The combo of more of a street car is where I think this is more suited. I do most of my driving in town and sounds like the f4b may be for more of a track style intake. The large runners must give it plenty of breathing .

Greg

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Years ago, I replaced the Weiand X-celerator on my warmed over 289 with a S2MS Cobra intake. The S2MS is similar to the F4B.

I was mostly street driving the car at the time and expected to pick up some torque.

I was really disappointed, noticeable loss of power above 5000rpm and low rpm torque was the same (seat of the pants).

Those li'l 289's don't mind being revved and need to be revved to make power.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts