Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for some steel wheels to fit my 64. I like the color matched wheel with the chrome center cap but having some difficulties trying to find them and im not to sure what fits.

Also what size tire do people run with this wheel ? do they run different front to rear? and feel free to post pics of your steel wheels...
To better describe the look im going for :

Thanks for your help
Jake

·
Registered
653 Posts
Im looking for some steel wheels to fit my 64. I like the color matched wheel with the chrome center cap but having some difficulties trying to find them and im not to sure what fits.

Also what size tire do people run with this wheel ? do they run different front to rear? and feel free to post pics of your steel wheels...
Y'know, I haven't done it myself, but I keep trying to get someone to try a set of 16x7 '90s-'02 Crown Vic P71 cop-car wheels ('03-later won't work, they've got big positive offset.)

The 225/60-16 tire should be just the right size, and it's a readily available size - there just isn't much out there in 14in or even 15in that's Galaxie-size and good quality.

The center doesn't have the bumps to retain the old-style dog-dish poverty-caps - I agree it's a great look, not sure what could be done to make them snap on over the little plastic center caps the P71s (and I think Ranger pickups) used.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may have to try to find some and see how they fit.. Ill go to the Police Department see if i can borrow one hahaha

If someone knows where i could get them and if they fit off of any other random car please let me know.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I may have to try to find some and see how they fit.. Ill go to the Police Department see if i can borrow one hahaha
Around here they're super-common in the pick-n-pulls, old cop cars end up as taxis and a lot of old cabs of that vintage are now getting scrapped.

Not to say those wheels haven't suffered a bit from a decade of being bashed around, I haven't actually bought a set so I can't say how hard it is to find four round, straight ones...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine has the Crown Vic wheels on it.

Since this picture, I had them powder coated and got the center caps for
them. I think they look clean and simple.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
any pictures with the centers?
And what size tire are you running?
Is the suspension stock height?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'll have to gather the tire sizes tonight.

I don't have any pictures with the center caps on, but you could google image search for them.

The front springs are 390 w/AC springs - 1 coil has been cut

Rear suspension is 4 leaf springs with cal-tracs.

They fit just fine. I believe they are a 4.5 inch backspace.

·
Registered
345 Posts
First off you didn't say if you are looking for 14's, 15's or ?

Your car originally had 14's unless it was a factory hipo, police package, taxi etc.

Most of the Crown Vic and Town Car wheels our group is referring to here are actually 15's.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Vic wheels I've shown are actually 16x7.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Most of the Crown Vic and Town Car wheels our group is referring to here are actually 15's.
P71 wheels from mid '90s until 2002 were 16x7 and a traditional offset/rear-spacing.

From '03 up they're 17in (17x7.5 I think) and have much more offset.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Vic wheels look too much like Plymouth voyager minivan wheels.... :(
Yeah, I agree that the circular hole pattern is not necessarily a '60s aesthetic, but I think they look pretty good and the hole pattern would be much less noticeable if the wheels were black.

On the positive side, they're cheap, for a driver they're an excellent size and take a tire size (225/60-16) that's readily available in modern tires.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First off you didn't say if you are looking for 14's, 15's or ?

Your car originally had 14's unless it was a factory hipo, police package, taxi etc.

It doesnt matter to me really, car is a daily driver 15's, 16's it wont matter to me.

Car has

And i like the more stock look and cop car look alike a little bit better.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
With center caps and trim rings, they look entirely different. Don't forget there are at least a dozen different common factory styles, CV, Marquis, Ranger, etc. that all pop onto the lug nuts on almost any wheel. Paint over logos or whatever you want. I like them with the short hat (P71) or factory moon center and rings. The style looks oval track, rally or very classy depending on how you dress them.
:tup:
David

Some different shapes that will fit. Paint or mod them for fun and effect:

·
Registered
90 Posts
8,5"x15" with 4,5" Backspace they get only Trim Rings, because Hub Caps and Trim Rings are too much.
Can post some more pics in a few Days if interesstet

Tires are 275/60-15

·
Registered
345 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
so has anybody found a supplier for new steel wheels?

Nice replies from the group on this .....the only thing I wanted to offer up is; If you're going to be doing some yarding and swapmeeting in your search, pick up a tool called a PCD gauge. It is slide caliper tool to measure bolt circles and can be had for ~$20 on _bay for example. It's just plastic and looks more like a toy than a tool, but it works great! If interested holler back and I can dig up a link. This tool has more than paid for itself just in the convenience of using it as opposed to tape measures/rulers when you're in the "rough". Works on mounted or unmounted wheels. I will be doing a 15" wheel upgrade to my 64, hopefully this spring! have peeked at the vinntiques too, but am REAlly liking the TTO (torq thrust originals) and BFG T/A look for mine.
happy motoring Norm

·
Registered
32 Posts
so has anybody found a supplier for new steel wheels?
I got my Crown Vics from Les Schwab for something like $45 a wheel.

If you buy any steel wheel used, just make sure they are straight. I had an experience where I bought a set of steel wheels, had them blasted and powder coated, then when I went to mount my tires and balance them the tech pulled me over and look - the wheels were totally out round.

Couldn't even tell without spinning the wheel on the balancer. Wasted over 3 bills on that mistake :(

1 - 20 of 30 Posts