Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 Falcon Sprint it's in boxes and crates trying to at least get it steerable so I can load it and take it to my welders. Problem is I guess to many mods it now has the borgeson power steering unit they sent supposedly the correct pitmen arm? The spindles are 69 Maverick I have replaced tie rod ends new center link and nothing seems to line up I understand the idler when in correct position should be parallel with the frame if I do that the wheel is out of alignment canted to the right from seat. Then the drivers side will go in correct hole but then pitman won't even com close and the center link if the right one is a post and center link is the one supposed to have the post. I've got some pics I can include hope it helps or if anyone has a 65and show theirs would appreciate it. Pic one is pass side idler see how it is crooked where as wheel is straight ahead 2 Pic show the idler with steering box above and center link is way off from driver side by about 2 inches 3rd and 4th just trying for clearer pics. Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey bigdaddy you out here? I'd like to communicate but nervous about sharing personal email address with the whole community, but I'll risk it for a fellow statesman. e-mail me at [email protected]. If anybody steals my identity they wont be getting much.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I feel your pain. That's why I'm saving up to go with the RRS stuff. Ford has a history of changin their stuff mid year and keeping us confused. Sometimes hard to know what fits and what don't. I like to do my own work but thinkin about taking my car to a shop that did my 63.5 alignment back in 2000 and getting it over with. Believe it or not they are still in business and remember working my Sprint. Lookin at img. 0472 looks like the idler arm is the newer two point anchor point vs the 3 point. good luck with the car and get n touch.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Al I have a question . You say you have 69 Maverick spindles. Not sure if they are proper fit for the Falcon. I've heard of using the Granada spindles but not the Maverick.If the spindles will work on a 65-66 Mustang they should work on the Falcon.I have a 65 Falcon, I will try to get out in the garage tomorrow and take a few photos from the under side .My car has the stock v-8 spindles with SS brakes Disc set up.Roger

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Al I have a question . You say you have 69 Maverick spindles. Not sure if they are proper fit for the Falcon. I've heard of using the Granada spindles but not the Maverick.If the spindles will work on a 65-66 Mustang they should work on the Falcon.I have a 65 Falcon, I will try to get out in the garage tomorrow and take a few photos from the under side .My car has the stock v-8 spindles with SS brakes Disc set up.Roger
gtaroger: thanks I think I got it figured on the Facebook Ford Falcons Ownwers Group it's just a group of guys taht work on FB side of things pretty cool had a guy in Cal. that sent pictures not only did I not have right borgeson gearbox my idler arm was mounted wrong can't help with my addled old mind. Thanks for response

·
Registered
52 Posts
gtaroger has a very good set up. I'm sticking with the stock spindles also. The Stainless Steel disc brake conversion is excellent stuff. I installed the complete kit on my 63.5 Sprint that I sold. I'm still runnin the stock drums on my 64.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey Big Daddy, Old cars, Old dudes, Old ways. My 64 is going up on the rack soon to replace the front suspension. If I had some Old money I'd do the upgrades but for now going back stock. Springs, control arms, etc... Good luck and keep us posted. Maybe I'll learn something.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Front suspension complete. Upper and lower A arms, shocks, spring dampers/cushions, ball joints, spring saddles, bushings, tie rod end dust/grease seals etc... Compression test on the springs showed good so decided to keep em. After putting everything back on I went for a test drive.... In the rain and cold. Everything was fine until I ran out of gas!!! Damn the bad luck. Anyway after getting gas the car drives like it should. Stiffer ride and cornering great. Startin today on the fuel level sender, CVR, wiring, gauge etc... this aint gonna happen again. Prolly gonna go with the 16 gal tank vs the current 14 gal. Any suggestions, advice on what size tank yall are usin will be appreciated. THANKS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts