Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Steering Box Issues

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  GregP 
#1 ·
I replaced my stock steering box with a rebuilt one. All is well except for the steering wheel return...it doesn't. If I turn left and release the steering wheel, it stays there. If I turn right, it stays there. Have I missed something? Is there an adjustment that needs to be made? Is there a break-in period before the steering returns on its own? The fluid level is correct and the steering box is rebuilt to OEM specifications. Your help is needed, Thanks...

#3 ·
yes to the above comment^ or you last box was way too loose and now your new one wont respond to the alignment, tires and road. as that is what returns the wheel to center. btw manual or power?
i wouldnt mess with a new box unless i had all the means...
alot of info here> many pages/links on this page alone. good read. make sure they really rebuilt the whole thing too.
http://www.stangerssite.com/HowItWorksSteeringBox.html

make certain it is well greased. good luck

#6 ·
On 2006-10-16 19:31, trukstopcowboy wrote:
yes to the above comment^ or you last box was way too loose and now your new one wont respond to the alignment, tires and road. as that is what returns the wheel to center. btw manual or power?
i wouldnt mess with a new box unless i had all the means...
alot of info here> many pages/links on this page alone. good read. make sure they really rebuilt the whole thing too.
http://www.stangerssite.com/HowItWorksSteeringBox.html

make certain it is well greased. good luck
Ditto on the grease comments. That makes all the difference. Greasing instructions can be found on stanger's site.

I recently added a few tablesspoons of gear oil to the grease, which made steering even lighter. I read that tip somewhere and decided to try it. Don't know if it eventually will leak out though: time will tell...

#7 ·
If the car won't self center the steering wheel after box replacement (and assuming it was fine before) then the mesh adjustment is too tight.

Just mark the adjusting screw and top plate, loosen the jam nut and unscrew the adjuster 1/2 turn and retighten the jam nut.

The steering should recenter just fine, and you may have excessive play.

Then you can slowly inch up on the proper adjustment bu tightening the adjuster screw 1/8 of a turn, test, then another 1/8 turn if needed, etc.

What you are needing to do is strike a balance between stiffness in the steering action and play in the steering wheel.

The correct way (book way) to adjust the mesh load is by jacking up the car and steering the wheel full lock left and right and checking for minding with a torque wrench on the steering wheel nut. I do not know what the proper torque is, but if you can find out this method takes less time and is more accurate.

Good luck,

Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.