Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is in two parts;

a. What is the stock steering ratio for a 73 Gran Torino?
b. Which ratio will give me a more direct feel/quicker response?

I am assuming that the higher the number, the more direct the steering will be. Example: 12:1 will have more turns lock-to-lock that say 16:1.

Please help...

·
Registered
635 Posts
a. What is the stock steering ratio for a 73 Gran Torino?
b. Which ratio will give me a more direct feel/quicker response?

I am assuming that the higher the number, the more direct the steering will be. Example: 12:1 will have more turns lock-to-lock that say 16:1.

a. I've no idea, but you can easily figure it out. Sit in the
car and go all the way left (or right). As soon as it's at the
steering stop, spin the wheel in the opposite direction all
the way to that steering stop, counting the complete turns.
Let's say it's 4 complete turns, stop to stop. That would be
16:1 ratio. If it was 3 turns, you'd have 12:1.

b. A lower ratio is a more responsive box, as you can see.
The most responsive Saginaw integral box was on the Buick
GN in the 80's (and probably others). it was about 2.75
turns lock to lock. You should have a Saginaw box on your
Torino- I don't think the Ford (Bendix) unit was used that
year. Saginaw parts do interchange and you need someone
with some experience to build that kind of hybrid box, but
it can and has been done.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Generally speaking, the ratio on most non-performance American sedans that used recirculating ball steering boxes, was 20 - 23 for manual steering and a little quicker for power steering (17 - 1
. Often, you can gain a little quicker ratio … Duh...., by swapping a p/s steering box (or transfer the gears) into a manual steering car. However, there is the issue of what to do about closing off the p/s lines for 65 and above integral boxes.

It is possible to swap later model sport steering boxes from some models, but that’s a whole 'nother story.

71 Torino Manual Steering Model - 20:1 Ratio

Note: there are companies that supply low ratio boxes for "Muscle cars". I have seen them on the 'net, but thought you might enjoy the hunt! Obviously, the lower the ratio, the higher the effort needed to turn the steering wheel...at slow speed, with bigger or low profile tires, it can be difficult to park. Are you real sure you want your ol' lady (if she needs to drive) to develop "Pop Eye" the sailor forearms?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 10/21/06 12:27am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I have the 16:1 (67 mustang) manual steer box in my 64 Falcon with not-so-large tires. It is a bear to steer unless you are driving, then the response is great. The 16:1 would work a lot better with power.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I did forget to mention that I do have a power steering setup. I you know of any sites I might be interested in, please let me know. (other than the ones on the sidebar)

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
The steering box on the 72 up Torino should be the same box as used in full size ford. When the Torino went to full frame along with the other intermediate bodys most of the front suspension is from full size Fords. In 1969 Ford did use some saginaw boxes on the full size cars but I think there was an adapter bracket between the box and frame. I have used a 69 manual box on a 78 LTD. There was a saginaw power box on the 71-73 Mustang and Cougar and they were available with constant or variable ratio, but that box wouldn't do you any good. I've been kind of half way looking for a fast ratio power box for my 67 galaxie. From what limited info I can find they keep talking about the high effort steering boxes in the later Crown Victoria interceptors but I can't find the ratio. Some one else might know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts