Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Ford Custom. 302 . AOD. Work in progress
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey group. Stupid me, I decided to take the steering column apart and when I put it back together the shifter sleeve won’t stay up tight to the horn/blinker ring. I will try looking for diagrams but figured I’d reach out to the group. Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do I need a bearing puller
looks like the outer mast tube is not bolted to the signal housing.
That is exactly what’s going on but I can’t remember where is it supposed to be bolted together? There are two nuts that face up towards the horn and blinker switch but there is a cradle for the bolt to sit in on the backside of the blinker casing

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Don't loosen the nuts all the way, iirc the outer tube should have 2 depressions or slots that mate with the square head bolts, the bolts then pull the tube up tight to the switch housing. Kind of a fiddley job.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't loosen the nuts all the way, iirc the outer tube should have 2 depressions or slots that mate with the square head bolts, the bolts then pull the tube up tight to the switch housing. Kind of a fiddley job.
Thank you so much. I will go into it again tomorrow and write back to let you know how it goes. Man has it been frustrating.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much. I will go into it again tomorrow and write back to let you know how it goes. Man has it been frustrating.
Looks like this is what you had mentioned. It will be my first project for the morning. I’ll let you know how it turns out

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After many attempts to get the square head bolts to stay put and decided that they must have to be installed before the blinker switch and wires so I disassembled the rest of the steering column and will start fresh. Glad I did so I can clean up the inner sleeve and get a nice coat of paint in all of it. I will update with progress

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts