Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm ordering the parts I need for the v8 steering conversion and I need to know if I have to switch to the v8 spindles as well?

·
Registered
634 Posts
With no information about the car,even after checking your profile page,I will say ,yes. I did on my 64 falcon. Lots of information helps us to help you.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
With no information about the car,even after checking your profile page,I will say ,yes. I did on my 64 falcon. Lots of information helps us to help you.
What he said! :)

I always tell people "Give as much info as you know and you'll get better answers to your questions". I'm pretty certain you'll need everything replaced to do a true V8 conversion up front including spindles and brakes. As long as you're under there I'd do disc brakes too.

John

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its a 64 four door with a 302 swap and I did a disc brake conversion on the front but I cant remember what kit I used

·
Registered
634 Posts
Which spindals are on the car now ? Are they the ones that came with the 4 lug wheel or what ?

This is like pulling teeth out of a chicken .

More information needed or I pull out and let somebody else try.

·
Registered
634 Posts
yes the 4lug six cylinder spindles are on there
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I pulled them off of my 64 and replaced with 77 granada ones that i ran for about 15 years. Then I pulled them and put the v/8 drum ones back on. That was because i was restoring the car to the way the original v/8 ones were . The original ones came with a 13" wheel,not what i like ,but it belongs to my daughter now,that's what they wanted.
The original 4 lug front drum spindle have smaller bearings than the v/8 version has. Add in a v/8 ,plus air maybe and they are hauling around more weight than what they were with the little six . Bigger tires than the original 6.50 x 13 will put more load on the front too.
I say replace them , my $.02 worth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts