Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at threads most of the day and have been unable to find a post on this. I have a 1964 Galaxie 500 XL, 390 with power steering. Have rebuilt the control, power steering pump, all new hoses, all new front end bushings, alignment and new radial tires. Like what appears to be all 63's and 64's with power assist steering there is just a small amount of steering wheel play which is the control stud moving just enough to start power steering fluid flowing into the cylinder and creating enough pressure to start the cylinder moving. My question is, has anyone tried fabbing a 1965 Galaxie or newer steering gearbox into a 1964? I know there are companies building newer style gearboxes but I don't want to shorten my steering column. The way it is looking I will probably end up putting Greg Donahue's manual steering adapter on the controller and be done with it but thought I would try this first.

·
Registered
209 Posts
This is a good question, I am in the process of finishing up a complete rebuild of my PS system on the 62 and im hoping I have no leaks. There seems to be many 65 and up steering boxes out there and theyre cheaper to replace than the older ones. PLease do post if you figure it out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts