Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still dinking with this steering/pitman arm issue. Have not got the tubes back from MPG, but just back tracking and making sure I have this right, again.

Starting point, took all the suspension/steering off the car, I did not remove the pitman arm from the sector/box. I Counted turns on inner and outter tie rods and have put them back together using those numbers, so it should be close.

I was messing with it last night and noted with nothing connected I have 5.5 turns in the wheel, side to side (14 inch wheel). When I was driving the car/most mustangs I owned, you have four turns lock to lock.

So, when putting this back together from scratch, I count wheel rotations, 5.5. go back 2.25 to center up/locate the proper pitman arm orientation and that should be my starting point to bolt up the drag link, or is there some offset that I am not aware of.

Some folks have sent me pics, and when the wheels are straight, the pitman arm/drag link connection/nut us almost under the frame rail.

Does the pitman arm have a one way fit, or could it possibly be a few teeth off from some previous work?

Let me know if I am on the right assembly track for this steering replacement. Thanks. Chris

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
The number of turns is correct for a box that has no steering linkage attached. Center the box at 2.5+ turns and install the arm as shown on my picture I sent you earlier. If you look at the splines on the pitman shaft you will see that it has 4 wide splines so it is possible to be off 90 degrees. If you marked the arm and shaft before you pulled it a part then you will be able to see any change difference you are making.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I have never pulled the pitman arm off the shaft, so its either factory or someone else screwed up.

But if it was 90 off, it would be way out of way. At 2.25 it looks pretty close to yours. Thanks man.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.