Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the steering wheel to replace the blinker piece that always breaks and it seems like the steering shaft has a lot of slop in the colum. I can move it back and forth about 1/4 to 3/8 inch. Is this normal? is there a bushing or piece that goes around the shaft that will tighten this up?

Thank you

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just re-built my 63 column,....if I understand your question correctly, there is a snap ring on the shaft a few inches from the end of it...you should be able to see it using a flashlight.
That snap ring is holding a rubber coated set of bearings in place on the shaft, the bearing keeps the shaft centered in the column.

If your "play" is up and down....the snap ring may be missing.
If your "play" is side to side....the bearing may have a problem.

Don't know if that helps or not......

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just re-built my 63 column,....if I understand your question correctly, there is a snap ring on the shaft a few inches from the end of it...you should be able to see it using a flashlight.
That snap ring is holding a rubber coated set of bearings in place on the shaft, the bearing keeps the shaft centered in the column.

If your "play" is up and down....the snap ring may be missing.
If your "play" is side to side....the bearing may have a problem.

Don't know if that helps or not......
Yes it does. The shaft on mine does not have a clip or a bushing above where the shaft comes through the colum housing

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
if you look in center of lower piece in the turn signal collar... you can see where bearing is located...
its the black rubber ring that bearing is cased in.......

this is a 64..but 63 should be the same....

edit..
i just relised yours is 67..and probly diffrent...

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
along with Raggaren's post....
I've done a few of these, most recent my 76 f100. The bearing rarely wears out, but the rubber gets old and allows a lot of play in it.
Changing the bearing/rubber on the top and bottom of the steering column (my truck took a bushing on the bottom) makes the steering wheel much tighter.

This all assume you have a good rag joint.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts