Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Steering spindle

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  zICRONIx 
#1 ·
I have a big gap in my steering (71 Mach1 with powersteering), and i have tried to tighten it up, but the gap is still there so it must be worn gears, is there any company that sells a restoration kit for those ?

#4 ·
you sure its the steering gears? does the steering wheel turn slightly to each side without turning the tires? This is normal for an old mustang. if its excessive, it could be your tie rods or idler arm. have someone turn the steering wheel a little side to side enough so that the wheels dont turn and watch under there to see where the slack is. watch the tie rods.

#5 ·
hmm, it's an interesting question...
i'l do that, maybe i don't need to "fix" the gears .. i was planing on doing a real rebuild soon anyways ..

what do you think about a kit from P-S-T ? i've seen that they have a complete rebuild kit that includes all tie-rod ends and all the other stuff .. and using polygraphite bushings ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.