Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving, taking a down hill sweeping left hand turn over some bumps crossing a small bridge, my steering wheel started to shake left & right. It kinda bounced around in my hands. Never had this happen before. Any one have a theory why?
My front end has p/s, 480lbs 1" lowering springs, street or track heim joint stut rods, roller spring perches, kyb's and a fresh alignment.
Is this a symptom of bump steer?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Check the bolts holding the steering gear box to the frame....

FE

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Falcon, thanks for the suggestion but the box seems to be mounted tight. Any other ideas out there?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Where might this downhill bridge that curves and has bumps be located?

Never seen a curved bumpy bridge that sloped down hill....

I would suggest that you do the bridge again 3 times. Go faster, slower, then the same speed as before. Try to duplicate this phenomenon then experiment with it.

The wheel shake may be a one time one place deal, and may only occur in that one spot. Like an enigma or some other fancy schmancy word like that...

FE

·
Registered
522 Posts
Have you opened the p/s unit? P/s pump,rack/pinion,p/s hose?Sounds to me you didn't get out all the air bubbles in the system! Start the engine and turn the wheel all the way one way(left or right it doesn't matter).Turn off the engine and take off the p/s cap and let all the air bubbles dissapate! This may or maynot help! Good luck!
This is what usually happens when air is in the system!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ran347nosgt on 9/14/06 5:20am ]</font>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts