Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I want to put an after market stereo and new speakers in my 64 Gal. I 've been looking at the Custom Auto Sound USA 630 head unit that is suppose to drop right in where the old AM radio was. Has anyone had good or bad luck with these ? I'm having trouble finding reviews on them.
I was thinking of going the route in this article with a nice head unit. Challenge: Upgrading a 1964 Ford Galaxie Sound System with Clean Looks
(copy and paste)
What do you all think ?
I also need some ideas for speaker placement in the front of the car. The car has a healthy growl,so I want a healthy sound system.
Just wondering where you folks have put speakers in your 64 Galaxies.
Thanks,
Red

·
Registered
287 Posts
After riding in my '63 for ten years and not listening to the AM radio I went ahead with the installation of a high power stereo. My goal was not to tear up my dash, door panels and rear package tray. But after securing a spare package tray I did the deed. I used a radio faceplate that came from a '71 Vomit ,also known as a Comet, which hangs below the dash and built a front speaker by tracing the size of the original front speaker. I found two 3-way 3.5 inch Kenwood speakers that fit inside the template area to become the front speaker. I can't say it's a powerful speaker but it does fill the void of no front speaker. Then I cut into the rear package tray to install the large rear speakers. The sub-woofer box is in the trunk along with the amps although it would be better if the sub-woofer was in the back seat area. I was willing the make a few concessions to get the job done without altering the interior of the car too much. I drew the line at cutting into the door panels as that, in my opinion, was just going too far. The end result may not satisfy a aficionado but it does the trick for me.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I did one of the custom sound usa models, but haven't finished wiring. I had one in a 64 1/2 Mustang once and it sounded pretty good. I have a page on my website might give you some stealth speaker ideas.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had Gary Tayman convert my stock AM radio to an AM/FM stereo with aux input. It works pretty well as a head unit. There are also pre-amp outputs, so I can add a separate amplifier if/when I add a sub or more speakers.

I picked up one of those dual input Retrosound 6x9" speakers for the dash - and I think it sounds like ****. So I'm working now on installing two 3.5" JL audio speakers instead.

Eventually I hope to put some speakers in the kick panels -- or maybe the doors (though I'm trying to avoid it).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts