Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of rather than trying to fix the factory AM radio, installing a nice CD head unit in the glove box or under the dash. And maybe put a pair if 6x9's in the rear deck. My question is, I want to keep the stock 30 amp Generator and regulator. Will that be enough to power a new stereo and still keep up the other circuits. Come to think of it, the clock, heater and lighter don't work, and I don't drive it in the rain, so the wipers never get used either. Although sometimes at night I notice that the headlights will dim when I rev the engine. Think that old school charging system can handle it?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Figure your lighting system will use around 13 amps, your ignition around 5 amps, that leaves you with 12 amps if your generator is still running to it's spec'd 30 amps. A CD deck at decent listening volume will pull 2-3 amps at MOST, and at full volume I'd be suprised if it pulled 10 amps. So yes, you should be fine, in my oppinion. Just don't try to run your wipers and/or blower motor with your stereo at full volume for extended periods of time.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thanks. Yeah, I figured that it would be fine. On a newer car, I would take my +12 and ign wires from fuses in the fuseblock- wipers fuse or something. On an old car like this with old ass wiring and all, should I run a whole new wire from the battery? Where should I hook the ign wire to the stereo?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Just a cd deck, at full volume, playing off a cd will pull about 8-9 amps or so. If you have an amp, you get whole lots of current. When im blasting my stereo, the subs pull 50 or 60 amps or so, you should see my ammeter peg when im blasting some tunes. Anyways, a stock alt should do fine, on my 351c, i have a moroso underdrive crank pulley, and loud stereo. havent had any problems at all with battery stuff.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
If I were you, I would try to run the power wire from the battery, maybe even the gnd wire if you have any problems with engine noise coming though the speakers. You can hook the ignition wire for the stereo to any switched power source, it only uses that for a signal, it doesn't pull any power through that wire (on most stereo's I've seen, anyways).

·
Registered
672 Posts
Motorhead is right, it should be fine if you wire the cd player that way. That's how mine is.

On 2002-03-06 00:25, Brian M wrote:
When im blasting my stereo, the subs pull 50 or 60 amps or so, you should see my ammeter peg when im blasting some tunes.
How many watts are you running in your system?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I'd guess he's probably running around 400-500 watts, assuming his amps are around 70% efficient. I forget what efficiency different class amps run, but I think class D are around 80-90%, while class A are around 60% (but sound much better). I've seen my system in my Bronco pull 80 amps on a really good low note, lol!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts