Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted no too long ago asking how to go about adjusting my aluminum roller rockers. Its a hydraulic roller cam setup. I reused the lifters that were in the motor, because they had less than 1000 miles on them. I have tried SEVERAL times to adjust these suckers, both with the engine off and the instructions, and with the engine running and oil all over me. no luck at all. Im feeling a bit mentally challenged at this point, and its a drag to drive the thing ticking like this. Can anyone give me a DETAILED procedure, maybe indicate what im doing wrong or not doing, and also if maybe my lifters have just gone kaput for some reason? Im really desperate. thanks a bunch -joe.

·
Registered
245 Posts
What kind of lifters?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i bought the motor as a stock rebuilt 5.0, so i imagine they were stock replacement lifters. i looked at them, no signs of wear, and i knew the motor hadnt even seen 100 yet, so i used them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
roller rockers, by their nature will make a significant amount of noise. i had to get used to the constant noise also with a recent conversion.

what type of valve train is this (pedestal or stud mount)? also, what type of roller rockers are they?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
stud mount, ford motorsport aluminum roller rockers 1.6

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
This is the way that was easiest for me.
1 - get timing tape that goes all the way aroung the damper so you can see TDC, BDC, 90*, and 270*
2 - I forgot the ones you adjust at each step, but you only need to rotate the crank 4 times.
3 - loosen up the rocker so there is play, and tighten until you see the plunger on the lifter just barely go in.
4 - go 3/4 turn more and tighten the poly-lock

If you need the order I can get my book and send it to you.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Go buy what the directions say. I have comp cams steel roller rockers, stud mount, with the old stock lifters, and they howl like you would not believe with the 5w30 oil I run. It is normal from all I have heard. Trust the directions I know it does not sound right, but it has to be with as good as my car is running right now.

If you havent heard I am in the 12.50`s over 111

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help. I am aware that roller rockers are going to be noisier than stock, but this isnt a howl im talking about, its a ticking sound. Ive been in friends cars with roller rockers and they dont sound like this. are you guys inclined to think that im over-tightening them, or that they are too loose?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just a thought here because I did this the first time I used roller rockers. Check and make sure the fulcum that mounts on the stud is not on upside down, there is a groove where the rocker sits on the mount. Probably not it, but a though anyway.

·
Registered
442 Posts
another thought! mabye your roller rockers are coming in contact w/ your valve covers? maybe?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another reason i think i havent go them adjusted right is that there is wear around the retainer nut, like the blue anodized coating has worn off the rockers. id this normal, i just dont want to blow any parts. thanks again -joe

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Since you said there is wear, did you align the guideplates right? I think that if they were not centered it would make the rocker twist and cause this wear. And not to be a wise ass, but are you sure the noise is from the valve train? A small exaust leak can sound like a tick. Also, my rockers hit my fomoco cast covers, so I had to rebove the baffles, and grind down the bosses for the mounting bolts.
Just some ideas
Good Luck

·
Registered
90 Posts
Turn the radio up and enjoy. I have the same problem whith the same rockers. Not fun.
Valve cover gaskets ain't cheep!

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I didn't see this earlier but are you using stock heads (iron) or Aluminum?
You may also want to check the pushrod lengths.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Good call 54.

I know when my Edelbrocks were installed, and converted to adjustable rockers we changed the pushrod length to make everything come back into good form.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts