Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what I have

Iron case 9 7/8"
14 bolt pan with side file tube
REAR pump
2 holes on filter

The info I've seen so far says it's more than one kind. I don't get it. Is my info wrong. I will send pics but whats listed is what I have. I want to rebuild this one with the right kits (rebuild and shift?). I don't want an alternate until it is my last resort. Thank you

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Guess I answered in the wrong thread.

Will try and be more careful in the future... :bow:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know how to reply to you without sounding sarcastic and being irritated. I gave the information I have. The only part of your help is only reinforcing the fact that somethings wrong.

Your first pic identifies the SIZE of my case. But if you read my post it shows that I have a 14 bolt bottom with a 2 hole filter. MY pan doesn't match ANY of the ones on your second pic. So If your asking what model and year car, I'll tell you but it doesn't matter because this isn't the original engine, transmission, or even extension housing. 64 galaxie, 390(63/64 t-bird)

If your asking what model and year transmission, well thats where I started this conversation...

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Its a FMX or take some pictures of it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My pan doesn't match "kultulz" second pic with FX/FMX pan. My pans not even in that pic. I do find it but that's why I'm confused, some show it some don't. The filters with 2 holes are only on the 63-67, FMX didn't come about until 68 right? Still not making sense...

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
The trans isnt original to car so year doesnt matter right?

My pan doesn't match "kultulz" second pic with FX/FMX pan. My pans not even in that pic. I do find it but that's why I'm confused, some show it some don't. The filters with 2 holes are only on the 63-67, FMX didn't come about until 68 right? Still not making sense...

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
If it doesn't match teh 14-bolt pans in the pic - any chance you could get a good set of pics of your pan and filter? Along with that, find the trans ID tag if it's still there, and any casting marks. Along with casting numbers, there is often a big C on the small-case versions for the Ford Cincinnati, OH transmission plant, or BW or just B for the Borg Warner medium case versions. More info would be nice to make a positive ID.

David

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Pics is the best bet and just because it's a '64 doesn't mean it didn't have something else put in it but can't believe it doesn't match any of those in the diagrams. Guess we will just have to wait on pics.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
Build in 1963 probably is a small case (FX) Cruiso. The FMX came out later, maybe 1968, and basically put MX internals in a FX case, thus the "FMX." According the the link below they also moved the fill tube up from the pan to the case and went with a one-hole filter.

http://www.autotran.us/fmABpg21.htm

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
I think Puttsterdude hit it - small case MX Cruisomatic made in Cincinnati. If the tag is on it, I'd say the version number would be PCE-AT1 which happens to be for a 1964 Ford Thunderbird/390/MX. With the mix of casting dates, I'd also say it's been rebuilt in the past.

David

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Small case MX?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I don't mean to be harsh either. I apologize. Even if you weren't answering my question you were trying to help nonetheless. Keep it up for us newbies...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well heres the results so far... you know how you voted...

FMX 2
Sm Case COM FX 1
Sm Case COM MX 1
Sm Case FMX 1
Sm Case MX 1
COM "NOT" FX/MX 1

I understand some mean the same thing, but what the hell, it cant be all three. Who's my hero...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts