Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have gone through every possible problem for my engine. It appears to be that my vehicle is not shifting properly because of a tuning issue. I tuned my car up and it shifted into gear, however, it then started puffing fumes back out the top of my carb (it never does this out of gear). I thought it was my old spark plug cables so I replaced them and now my car is running even worse than before!!! I have brand new spark plugs, brand new spark plug cables, all the vacuum lines are connected and not leaking, my car will shift just fine when the tires are not touching anything. I just can't figure this out! Can anyone please help? I really want to get my car driving again.

Engine is a Ford 351M/400 with a C6 Automatic Transmission.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
recheck firing order
Did that. Everything is hooked up properly. It was running so nice this morning and now it's running like crap. There is white smoke puffing out the carb quite regularily now. The engine is shaking, there is a loud knock in the bottom end, and it's still misfiring. I have no clue what to do. I am very new to the mechanical aspect of cars. Can anyone think of a quick fix? I could really use all the help I can get.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I had the same problem many years ago with my Galaxie. Bad shifting, white smoke out the exhaust.

Almost sold the car (didn't want to spring for a trans rebuild at the time).

I changed the trans modulator, and she ran great.

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
pull the vacuum line from the modulator, if its wet with oil its shot.

gotta agree with the rechecking firing order too- somehow I had 3 wires on ours swapped around, purred like a kitten till put in gear- backfire/stall...doublechecked firing order on the intake and DOH!

also if theres a aftermarket cam in there, didnt the 351 come with 2 different firing orders possible? if so, might not match the intake or book...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. Thank you everyone! I think the vacuum line was wet, so I'll double check that. I didn't realize that there are two different firing orders for my engine...I'll also look into that. As for the white smoke, I think it's probably condensation, very cold out right now, and I've been running it a lot. Thank you again! I'll give an update on Friday. (when it's not -28 out). :)

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
White smoke and condensation don't look alike.

Also, if I can do a memory flashback to the late 70's, my Galaxie threw out the most white smoke on startup.

And, if it is a bad modulator, you should notice the trans fluid level drop as the white smoke is trans fluid being burned.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great news! I had the wrong firing order. It has an aftermarket cam (as apparently noted in my bill of sale...) So hooked up the correct order and it's not blowing smoke anymore, it is now shifting, and driving. With a little more tuning it should be good as new. Thank you everyone! Also, how do I gap a spark plug? I cannot seem to figure it out. Thanks.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok. Thank you! Also, I saw in another thread where someone was torquing their plugs to 15 ft lbs. I thought you should never torque a plug.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Ok. Thank you! Also, I saw in another thread where someone was torquing their plugs to 15 ft lbs. I thought you should never torque a plug.
I am ASS-UMING that there maybe an actual tq spec for plugs, but I never in my life have actually tq'ed a plug. Just always snugged em using a 3/8ths drive ratchet... If alum heads dont forget the anti-seize...

MRO.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts