Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rebuilding a stock 65 289 and I'm considering options. What can I expect from keeping the stock 2 barrel carb and intake as compared with changing to a 4 barrel set up? Should I go with the 4 barrel? Should I look for OEM or go with aftermarket parts? What about exhaust? That's the one mode I really want to do...dual exhaust. Will the 2 barrel really limit the performance? What about cams? How far can I go with the cam using the 2 barrel with possibilies of upgrading to the 4 barrel in the future?

·
Registered
904 Posts
I would go for the 4 bbl carb. It will give you a nice performance boost over the 2 bbl. I havent done this mod yet but my friend had and all i could say was dam. it fells like a different car. the take offs are better. He has the edelborck performer rpm manifold and a 600 cmf carb. Im guesstimating that I he probably gained 40 horses. for exaust i would go for a X pipe with flow master mufflers, dual exaust system. Im thinking about going with the edelbrock air gap manifold with a 600 cmf doubble pumper carb for my 289, but im not sure yet. Need to do more research
.hope this helps somewhat.
Kenny

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I put an Edelbrock on my 289, a 625 AFB Carter, Flowtech headers, dual exhaust with Flowtech Raptor mufflers, and also a 280* Erson cam. Im really impressed with the performance it has over the stock 2 barrel and cam. It is worth it to put a 4 barrel on, I even got better gas milage with the above mentioned. My motor doesnt have to work as hard to move the big tubalard anymore.

·
Registered
669 Posts
cheap horsepower = change your diff ratio,my old 289 had a rochestor 4 barrel and a rpm manifold it was better than a 2 barrel but when i changed to a lower ratio diff thats when it really made a BIG difference!

·
Registered
660 Posts
You should rebuild your motor with your "performance end result" in mind.

The difference between a 2 and 4 barrel depends on where you want your engine to perform.

Generally the 2bbl with the right cam/intake will give you an edge with low end torque, idle to around 2500 rpm. The 2500 to 5000 rpm range will then suffer.

The 4bbl can be set up for just about anything depending on cam/intake/heads/etc.... There are a lot more aftermarket parts for use with a 4bbl.

If you are not restoring it, you are better off putting some "newer technology" on it (cam/intake/carb/heads/ignition).

If you are keeping the 2 bbl, there will be very little gain from going to dual exhaust.

Give some more info on what you want to do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts