Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm dropping a '94 351W from a Ford truck into a '67 Fairlane and wondering if there's any reason the stock distributor won't work. Does it get wired like an original points style distributor?

Alternatively, I'm considering a Petronix distributor. Should I just forget about the stock unit?

·
Registered
454 Posts
the 94 351w should be a roller cam isn't it? If so you need the distributor with the matching gear (bronze?) or you'll ruin the cam or the dizzy

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
I'm dropping a '94 351W from a Ford truck into a '67 Fairlane and wondering if there's any reason the stock distributor won't work. Does it get wired like an original points style distributor?

Alternatively, I'm considering a Petronix distributor. Should I just forget about the stock unit?
Will NOT work. The 1994 truck likely has a hydraulic roller cam. If so, it uses a melonized steel gear. The cast iron gear from your 1967 will not work. Plus, the 351W was not out in 1967... and a 302 distributor will not work in a 351W.

If you use an iron gear on steel hydraulic roller cam, the metals will not be compatible, and will eat each other.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Will NOT work. The 1994 truck likely has a hydraulic roller cam. If so, it uses a melonized steel gear. The cast iron gear from your 1967 will not work. Plus, the 351W was not out in 1967... and a 302 distributor will not work in a 351W.

If you use an iron gear on steel hydraulic roller cam, the metals will not be compatible, and will eat each other.
Mike is correct (if it is indeed a roller cam.-------You will need to check and verify as not all are rollers.)

In addition the oil pump drive on a 351w is of a larger diameter (than the 289/302) and it will not fit into the distributor shaft (whether roller cam or not.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts