Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what th stock camshaft specs are for the 66 289 NON K-code engine? Ive got a C code and i would assume the C and A code cams are the same. Im looking at getting a new cam and am trying to compare the differences.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
The cam specs are 380 exh lift, 360 int lift and 244 exh and 266 int duration. Very small camshaft, but reliable. Crane made them in a blueprint series 2-3 years ago, but stopped making them. Now Crane has been shut down.

Greg

Greg

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
@0.50 its about 198 duration, what do you want the car to do? what other mods are you going to do? You want to compare cams @0.50 and not advertised duration, you also want to look at lift and duration at all points, opening and closing rates and LCA and match it to your combo.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@0.50 its about 198 duration, what do you want the car to do? what other mods are you going to do? You want to compare cams @0.50 and not advertised duration, you also want to look at lift and duration at all points, opening and closing rates and LCA and match it to your combo.

Well I have a pretty stock 289 c-code with the addition of Edelbrock Performer 600cfm carb and intake manifold, Pertronix ignitor, Ceramic coated Tri-y headers, B&M Transpak and its in the shop now getting the 2.80 rear end swaped out for 3.25 trac-loc. So im just looking to make the car have a little more umph. I am looking for a cam that will give me the most power while staying as smooth on the idle as possible. Trying to make the car a bit of a sleeper. Looks bone stock all the way downto the 14" spinner hubcaps.

The car only has 49,009 miles on it so im looking for a milder cam that will work with stock valvetrain. I mean the car doesnt NEED it, it runs really strong and smooth, i just WANT it to have a bit more power to add to those new gears. Im sure illnotice a little bit once i drive it with the 3.25s but idk. I was just told that if i want the car to really wake up i needed to get a nice cam. So i dont know what to look for. I just figured if i had the stock cam spec i could find a cam thatthe specs werent too much higher up and be ok. To be honest i really dont know anything about cams so im lost.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are what i was looking at but i dont know how much of an increase it would be? Too much cam or waste my money and end up getting on ethat is the same as what i have. But here is what i was looking at...

260h
Comp Cams CL31-216-2

Performer
Edelbrock 2122

NPD offers a stock cam but doesnt listits specs the under it lists one that states "improved performance" with 259 intake/270 exhuast duration and 413/435" lift? So idk what i should get. I thought about just getting the Performer to tie everything together but the duration at .50 is only 204/214. Thats smaller then stock acording to gregs post. I checked another forum and someone quated me...

"This is the spec for a 66 non hipo
Lobe lift intake is .2303 exhaust .2375
Theoretical valve lift intake.368 exhaust.381
Duration intake 266 exhaust 256
Overlap 30
Intake Events
open BTDC 16 lift.004
closed ABDC 70 lift.006
Exhaust Events
open BBDC 52 lift .002
Closed ATDC 24 lift .005"

So i dont know what to do.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
The best off the shelf cams that will work with your combo are the comp cams high energy 260h or 268h, the 260h will probably be the best choice. You can use the stock heads, springs etc.....the 268 will give a lope at idle and give about 5-10 hp more at top end but can still work with stock heads but would be faster with a 3,50 rear gear,
They are pretty much the same but the 268 will lope and the 260 will burble and the 268 will give more hp past 4500 rpm.

The high energy cams are easy on the stock valvtrain and are great with 9.1 or less compression. they are ground 4 degs advanced so low end is great..

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
The camshaft that I had in my car was an Edelbrock Performer-plus. I have a cam with 448 lift exh/int and 204 duration @0.50 and 112 lobe sep. Smooth idle. Now if you want a replacement with slight upgrades in torque a Comp 240H will do the same.

Greg

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys i really apreciate th info, but will these cam not make much hp? 5-10 at higher rpms only? So i wont feel anything down low?

Greg, yeah i want a "stock replacement cam" i dont mind a little bit of idle, but i dont want a choppy lope that makes people turn heads or on ethat will shake the car when at a light or something.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The camshaft that I had in my car was an Edelbrock Performer-plus. I have a cam with 448 lift exh/int and 204 duration @0.50 and 112 lobe sep. Smooth idle. Now if you want a replacement with slight upgrades in torque a Comp 240H will do the same.

Greg
Greg, so how did you like the performer cam? Did you notice any power/speed improvements over stock?

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
There was a noticeable difference in the torque and pulled good up to 5500. I had a idle issue that haunted me with this cam , but others I have talked with have had a smooth idle. There are better choices than the Performer. The 240H cam out because the shop never used any EOS for the break in and I had the cam lobes chew off. There is an article on this site with the 351 cam upgrade with the Performer. The High Energy Comp Cams are a very good upgrade.

Greg

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There was a noticeable difference in the torque and pulled good up to 5500. I had a idle issue that haunted me with this cam , but others I have talked with have had a smooth idle. There are better choices than the Performer. The 240H cam out because the shop never used any EOS for the break in and I had the cam lobes chew off. There is an article on this site with the 351 cam upgrade with the Performer. The High Energy Comp Cams are a very good upgrade.

Greg
So which one do youthink gave more pwoer, the Performer or the 240H? Ive never seven seen a 240H, only a 250H.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
the performer cam idles like a stocker and doesnt give much in hp just TQ, the 260h sounds close to stock in a 289 and gives a nice power bump even at low end as it is ground 4 deg's advanced. The 240-250h are better in heavy cars/trucks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the performer cam idles like a stocker and doesnt give much in hp just TQ, the 260h sounds close to stock in a 289 and gives a nice power bump even at low end as it is ground 4 deg's advanced. The 240-250h are better in heavy cars/trucks.

Ok now, i dont understand what you mean by 4 degrees advanced? What does that do? So now my timing will be off? Wont that mess something up or make it run rough? Also can i use it with stock/oem type valvetrain?

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Are you going to install the new camshaft or will a shop be doing the installation. There are steps involved in using a degree wheel for camshaft accuracy. You can do a back yard install and have that cam run no were what was stated how it should. When in doubt like I was , the shop was the installer.

Greg

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
it means when its installed straight up it is actually 4 degs advanced which builds better cyl pressure on low comp engines and has more low end power.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The Performer cam has LOTS of grunt and idles smooth. I use one and am quite satisfied. Its an old established grind and several other cam manufacturers offer it. John--Las Vegas.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Juan, Htwheelz -

Thanks guys thats exactly what i wanted to know.

Greg-

Yeah im gonna have he shop do it. Im not even going to try and attemp it. Ok well then it settled. Edelbrock Performer Cam it is.

One more question. Is it mild or smooth enough to run stock valves, seats, springs , retainers, etc?

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
With the springs etc, it is really a good idea to use the recommended springs. The camshafts that I have replaced in my 289 in the past never had any huge lift and duration issues. Depending on the mileage on the old springs you may want to change them at this time. Also make sure the shop has the updated info on the oils lack of zinc and break in procedures . The shop I dealt with broke my camshaft in with straight 30w and had my camshaft go flat. It went flat after driving 8-10 blocks.

Greg

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well the car just rolled over on 49000 miles on it so its really not "high milage". I try and drive it at LEAST twice a month when its hot and when its cooler out side i drive it almost everyday. So its not just "sitting" around either. Doesnt smoke, leak or make any noises. Just runs strong and smooth lit it just came off the lot. o im hoping this cam will help.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
I ran the performer plus in my original 289, I already had the intake,carb and headers prior, I did some mild porting on the ex side of the heads and I was not very impressed at all, seem like maybe 10-15hp from the cam swap. I later swapped that eng into a friends 68FB and we put in the comp 268h and it was tons stronger and no loss in bottm end.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts