Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I ran the performer plus in my original 289, I already had the intake,carb and headers prior, I did some mild porting on the ex side of the heads and I was not very impressed at all, seem like maybe 10-15hp from the cam swap. I later swapped that eng into a friends 68FB and we put in the comp 268h and it was tons stronger and no loss in bottm end.

Ok, now where as ide like to have as much as possible, 10-15hp for a part that cost $147 (jegs), isnt too shabby where i come from. Escpecially when the car only weighs in at 2800lbs or so. Thats a pretty good bang for the buck in my book. Well, i just may look into maybe a 260H cam. Ive heard the 268H in a 289 and its too lopey for me.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I put the XE262H in my 351W last year and I find the idle nice and smooth, and not very lopey. In fact, before the rebuild, it ssemed that when it got out of tune the original cam seems to lopier than the new set up. New springs, lifters, etc., were necessary for the new cam. If you want to keep your low milage engine running strong you should get all the recommended parts for the bigger cam to prevent breaking things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Guys... First post

Found this thread when searching for Cam SPecs for my 289.

What would you guys rec. for a stock 289 motor, with weiand stealth intake, 650cfm Holley, Tri-Y headers, msd ignition set-up.

I am camshaft stupid, so the durations and stuff mean nothing to me. I dont want to change pistons, fly-cut anything. I basically want a rough idle, head turner, car shaking, hot-rod sound, or atleast as close to that as I can get with out introducing the valves to the pistons.

I am not worried about the gains in HP, as this car is a 65 and it's just for show, and no go. I have another Mustang (2000gt) that's tricked out when I wanna go play.

So post up your thoughts on a nice sounding/lopey cam that will thump when cruising into the car show, and turn heads when sitting at a stop light.

By the way, Im very impressed with some of the knowledge that is floating around this site. Tons better than some of the other sites where all they talk about is CAI's, O/R H pipes vs O/R X pipes... and how much nitrous can my 6cyl hold before it blows.

Thanks in advance for any tips/help!

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Just retard your timing and de-tune your carburetor and you will get the sound you are seeking. If that doesn't do it, try disconnecting a vacuum line.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The cam specs are 380 exh lift, 360 int lift and 244 exh and 266 int duration. Very small camshaft, but reliable. Crane made them in a blueprint series 2-3 years ago, but stopped making them. Now Crane has been shut down.

Greg

Greg
Crane Cams never was closed , Just moved. They still make great stuff..386 310 4875 is their new number for every one need...

21 - 27 of 27 Posts