Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So can a stock 351w (.030 over) that hasn't been run yet have it's rotating assembly swapped out for a 408 one with just basic tools, torque wrench, dremel, and a micrometer? I have never really dove into a bottom end before but don't feel like spending another $1k at the machine shop since the honing and such has already been done. thmx

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yes, you will have to assemble to check for clearence. Then have it balanced.
Should be just minor clearence work.
a 408 kit will be the way to go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can the assy. come prebalaned like from cnc-motor. so then it will be just assemble and clearances?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Yes you can get them balanced, just watch out for the parts that are used, some great, some good, some are just plain junk.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I second Woody's comments on non-branded parts...

I sell the Scat or Probe kits - - in main part because its all brand name stuff I can trust. The mystery metal in some kits gets me nervous...the inside of your motor is a crummy place to try and save $50...buy cheaper valve covers or go without floor mats or something...

And yes - we can all get kits ready balanced either to nuetral or 28 oz. You beed to clearance the bottoms of the bores and such - but your machine work will be OK as long as you have a steady hand... Most decent kits will be floating pins and fairly easy to assemble - - I recommend one trip to the machinist to check piston to bore clearances and pin fit - not at all expensive but well worth doing. Most of the time things are OK - - but this is the time to check...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heads are off for because I just did some more porting work and the block is sitting on an engine stand waiting for me to do something.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Theres a thought. thanks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dugedug on 11/29/06 1:04pm ]</font>

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have always heard that it is a good Idea to have the rotating assembly balanced with the dampner and flywheel/flexplate. therefore I would have it done at a local machine shop 150 to 200. other than that its pretty much DIY

1 - 10 of 10 Posts