Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, just curious if anybody's had experience with this before... Looking to save a couple bucks and clear up some clutter (two birds with one stone!), and thought I'd try to use some old-school stock stamped valve covers if they'd still fit. This is the style I'm talking about, minus the greasy nastiness:

I've got Scorpion 1.6 roller rockers and Twisted Wedge 170 heads. Obviously I'd be cutting out the stock oil baffles in any case, but do you think they'll clear even then? I think I've heard of people using the newer cast valve covers and such, but I don't own a pair of those and I don't know how they compare in terms of height.

Clearly I could just find out through trial and error, but the engine won't be together for quite a while and I figured I could save a little bit of time, not to mention keep myself from mutilating a perfectly good pair of valve covers if they don't work at all. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
May not fit with full needle bearing roller rockers especially if they are aluminum. If they are really close it may also depend on your lift, rocker ratio and whether you had to install longer push rods or not.

I don't know of anybody that has done any definitive testing to see which ones will fit and which not. I run 1.6, steel roller rockers with a .560 lift cam and I didn't have to get the extensions for the valve covers to fit. I did opt to get a set of aluminum Cobra style covers but they are no taller than stock and the baffles clear also. Edelbrock and others sell taller than stock valve covers when you have fit problems.

Maybe somebody will come along and say what they have that did not fit so at least you will know that answer.

If you clean them up and paint them with no mod's you could always sell them if they won't work on your set up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's almost the exact same lift I have, so that's good to hear. I haven't actually ordered the pushrods yet, still waiting to get it all assembled so I can check the required length, but I believe according to Trick Flow they're supposed to be stock length... might have to check on that though (I'm not just taking their word for it in any case). Even if I have to double up some gaskets, it's fine with me.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
I'm running TW170s with Erson aluminum roller rockers under stock early HO covers. They are at least as short as stamped steel. Valve cover spacers are good for a bit of extra room if needed though. I have a set of SBF aluminum VC spacers I'll be selling if I don't need them for the engine I'm currently doing, which has the shortest covers ever made for SBF.

David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts