Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '66 Galaxie that I am in the process of restoring. I have the front clip off and engine pulled, and I am thinking very seriously about splitting the body from the frame.

I only have a two car garage to work in, and if I remove the body I will need to store it outside while I do the work on the frame, suspension, engine, and drivetrain. I have heard that it is very bad to store a car over earth instead of concrete, but I do not have a dry storage location to put the body.

I am thinking of putting the body on my 6'x10' flatbed trailer (if it will fit) and storing it outside until I can get it back on the frame. I tried to put a cheap car cover over it in the driveway (it's still on the frame right now) and the wind tore it to shreds.

My question is this ... With my limited resources, what would be the best way for me to store this project outside without losing it to rust while I work on the frame? I'm thinking 6-9 months time.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
It's not going to rust down in 6 to 10 months outside with nothing on it. Trailer would be fine but you can put it on blocks. Just be sure you don't need to move it anytime soon if on blocks.
I would get a cheap cloth cover , put it on and then get some
Polyethylene and put it over the cloth cover. Then get some string and lace it good and tight to the car. This will keep the wind from tearing it up. Run the string all over the top, hood and trunk.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Go to your local Military surplus store, buy the netting they use for camouflage, I got 32' netting for 78 bucks, pull it over your car cover & I ran big bungees under the frame rails to each side of the netting, went through an Ontario winter with no drama!
Just don't let it get loose, only damage was to paint on rockers when one bungee let go & edge of netting rubbed the paint to primer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car currently is in 'old paint' which will be worked on after the frame is restored. I am pretty sure I am going to split the body from the frame what I will be storing outside will be from the firewall back.

I am worried about moisture from the ground, but from what I am hearing that won't be a problem for a 6-9 mo period?

I am also worrind about detroying another car cover (this on lasted a week), but I like the suggestions about tying it down. I didn't do that the first time as I store parts in the car and trunk and wanted easy access, but it appears I get one or the other, easy access with shredded cover or tied up well.

At this point the question in my mind that is still remaining is ... what to use to 'tarp' it with. I bought a cheap cover on eBay for about $40 thinking it would be rain resistant, yet breathe. Should I try to go over that with plastic? If I do, wouldn't that trap moisture?

Looking for advice to prevent me from doing somthing stupid due to inexperience.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Just check it every few weeks to see.
The reason I said put a cheap cloth cover on and then the plastic was that the plastic would repel water and the cloth cover would help keep the car dry. The plastic would made the cheap cloth cover last longer.
With the bottom open it will breathe. What I may do if you are worried is put a couple of boards, foam or anything on top of the roof and trunk Lid so the cover will not lay completely flat next to the car.
This will help it breathe also.
If that was a new or show paint job you may have a reason to worry but since you may paint later I don't think you have a problem.
Cheap cover at walmart probably run you $30 to $40 and the plastic probably 10 or so.
I use to cover my boat like this and never had a problem as long as the plastic wasn't torn so water could reach the cloth.
Most cheap covers that get a lot of rain when laying on something and get wet and soak through. Just like some tents, won't leak until you touch it from the inside.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Plastic over that car is a death sentence for it because it will not allow the condensation that will form under the cover to evaporate. You'd be better off with no cover at all.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
LOL. Like the old saying goes, ask 10 get 10 different answers.
Depends on where you live has some to do with it.
I'm different than most I guess, I would always check every week of so and if there was a problem I would fold it back and air it out on a sunny day. Problem is when you just cover up something and NEVER check.
One of those $650.00 carports would be best.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts