Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
That or an ambulance.. the 200 km/h speedo would be a kick tho... looky goin 150!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
That would be so cool to have your dead self taken to the grave in! I'd have to fix it up a bit and put some big tires and loud exhaust on her, there's got to be one of those state side some where.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Strange bumper too..... Sidemarkers....

Where is this car build, and why?

He replies it has a 5 cilinder mercedes engine, I'm trying to get the speedo......

·
Registered
407 Posts
I am sure you won't find any here in the US. Probably won't be able to ship it over also because of federal vehicle laws won't allow it to be shipped and on the roads here. Totally different safety laws here and there.

I once tried to have a Cushman van shipped here. Cushman purchased the van from japan and re-wrote the computers for use off road top speed 25mph. The company would not shipp, and would not leave the computer as it was stating the US laws won't allow this vehicle on the road. Can't even get a title.

All the car MFG's has US and Euro versions, even back then. Perhaps you can purchase it and have it shipped over part my part. Getting a title will be difficult, but then, there is a way especially because it's from the 60's. Some states possible, others not possible.

Anyone know how to do a euro conversion?. It says 1.100 euro dollars. Internet conversion return 1.01?. He, he, he... Got me on that. Maybe it's like 1.1 thousand?.

Looks like the little red round thingy is a home made turn signal light on the fender. Back then, no side markers or turn signals. OR, it is a red like "Emergency" type blinker letting everyone know it's going to the cemetery with a body and the followers are behind.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Nobody noticed in the description that it has a Mercedes engine?

"mit mercedes motor"

My German might a bit rusty since high school, but I'm pretty sure that means it has a Benz engine in it. Too bad he didn't include a pic.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Deffinately a cool vehicle. I noticed the sides aren't blacked out, they're glass! The better to veiw the coffin.:D

One thing that really makes it tough to figure out the car's origin...it's left hand drive. European or Australian built would most likely be right hand drive.

I'm guessing the Mercedes motor was swapped in.

Maybe it was something that came off a US military base?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am sure you won't find any here in the US. Probably won't be able to ship it over also because of federal vehicle laws won't allow it to be shipped and on the roads here. Totally different safety laws here and there.
Not a problem for me, I live in the Netherlands (Holland), next to Germany.

€1100 is about $1250.

I imported my Fairlane from the US.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Not a problem for me, I live in the Netherlands (Holland), next to Germany.

€1100 is about $1250.

I imported my Fairlane from the US.
Yes thats true. You can take one from here and use it anywhere but you can't take from there and use it here... Sucks...

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Yes thats true. You can take one from here and use it anywhere but you can't take from there and use it here... Sucks...
That depends on year model of mfg I think... and in the 60's there wasnt much in the way of emissions... Some states here doesnt even require a title if over a certain age, but thats neither here nor there. I would think if you had the money, and REALLY REALLY wanted it, It COULD be imported here irregardless. Conversion of 1100EUR came to 1499.99USD just a bit ago... (its like the stock market, its a moving target) lol

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
I know that the OP is not worried about shipping, but I can shed a little light on importing a car to the US.

Personally having done it, I know that 1967 was the cut off year for "easy" shipping to the states. If the title states that the car is a 1966, it could be imported with few questions asked. In 1968 there were new US DOT safety equipment requirements (like bars in the doors) which were not mandatory in European vehicles at the time.

The 67' Dino that I imported was never sold in the US market and yet there are litterly hundreds of them found in the US now. The lack of US emissions for this car wasn't a problem for it either, again 1968 was the first year of DOT required emissions equipment in the 49 states. I took ownership of the car in Italy and had all the paperwork verified by customs before having it put on the ship. I did not rely on expensive 3rd party importers and there was little to no legwork. It didn't hurt that I was in Europe on military assignment and was entitled to send a car back on the goverment's dime, but that didn't affect what was needed to be done.

One it arrived in the US, I simply picked up the car at the docks and then took the ownership documentation to the local AAA. They sent the paperwork off to convert it to a PA title and gave me tags on the spot without ever seeing the car. Then I took the car to the nearest PA safety inspection station for its yearly sticker-which is the same requirement for all non-antique tagged vehicles in PA. Years later I sold it to a gentleman in CA and he retitled it in his name there.

You just need to study the import regs . . . .

·
Registered
407 Posts
Personally having done it, I know that 1967 was the cut off year for "easy" shipping to the states. If the title states that it is a 1966, it could be imported with few questions asked. In 1968 there were new US DOT safety equipment requirements (like bars in the doors) which were not mandatory in European vehicles at the time.

The 67' Dino that I imported was never sold in the US market and yet there are litterly hundreds of them found in the US now. The lack of US emissions for this car wasn't a problem for it either, again 1968 was the first year of DOT required emissions equipment in the 49 states. I had all the paperwork verified before having it put on the ship and I did not rely on expensive 3rd party importers. It didn't hurt that I was in Europe on military assignment and was entitled to send a car back . . . .

I simply took the title to the local AAA and they took care of it and gave me tags. Then I took it to the nearest PA safety inspection station for its yearly sticker-which is a requirement for most non-antique tagged cars in PA.

You just need to study the import regs . . . .
I know someone whom imported a car when they were in the millitary in the 70's. Time went by. My brother in law whom was also in the millitary in the 90's could not get a car back no matter how much he tryed. He had to sell it there... I don't remember what the car was, but, it wasen't available here at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts