Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's one I can't figure out. Had a 351w built by a machine shop. D00E heads, solid cam w/no more than.530 lift on exh. Here's the problem, finally got the thing broke in enough to spin it up and here's what happened. EVERY exhaust valve on the left bank hit(not just touch but .020-.030 hits), but none on the right ever touched.
Checked deck height, head deck, etc. All are the same.

3 questions
anybody have this happen before? Any ideas what the heck it is? Do you think I hurt thebottom end any?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Was any actual 'setup' (i.e. measurements), taken on either side, for valve to piston clearance, or anything?

I'm assuming that the valve lift, and all that was taken into consideration when checking?

Still kinda strange..............

·
Registered
862 Posts
If head and block deck are the same, then it must be in the valve train. Check pushrod length, rocker ratio, valve length. Can't think of anything else.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
very strange indeed. I had an old 302 block that had the decks machined funny--one side of the deck on one bank was lower than the other--in effect it was tapered. Caused the pistons on one side to hit the heads (dome pistons.) is it possible that they pressed the pistons on backwards on that side? Very easy to do--perhaps they are all 8 the same pistons, rather than 4 rights and 4 lefts. Speed-pro did that to me once. Went to press one side, got it done, then tried to figure out how I got them on backwards--found out that they sent 8 left side pistons. Yes, they can be different because sometimes the pin is offset, and if they're on backwards the valve reliefs wont quite line up. Just something to think about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts