Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know FE blocks have, like most other castings, a few qwirks in the casting number department, and here's one I cannot find any information on.

1963 Galaxie;

C3A 6015 H

3C14A

C.............1960's
6015..........Engine block
H.....(the weird part)....the eighth modification in the casting.

C..............March
14.............three days before St. Patrick's Day.
A..............the employee responsible for the short block

The weird part: In 1963 there were only six (F suffix) modifications. In 1964 they still used some of the blocks numbered C3 but started with the G suffix. (the seventh modification)

If mine was built by Mr. A on March 14th 1963,.....how did it get the suffix "H"? And trust me it's a big bold H!

·
Registered
258 Posts
3C14A

C..............March
14.............three days before St. Patrick's Day.
A..............the employee responsible for the short block
3..........3rd
C..........March
14.......Mold number
A........Shift

Could be way of here, your car doesn't happen to be built at Oakville Ontario?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for asking!
All is perfect with the exception of that H suffix on the engine which I though was funny. Unusual funny not haha funny. :)

The H to me was an indicator that the engine had been replaced shortly after the purchase but then I read the short block build date on the engine block, and it indicates it's definitely the original block.

VIN indicates;

Saint Louis, Missouri
Galaxie 500 2-Door Fastback
8 cyl 352cid 2v 220 hp

Warranty tag:

Two door fastback bench seat
Chestnut Metallic with a chestnut interior
Assembled on March 19th
3/1 rear end
Cruise-o-matic.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3..........3rd
C..........March
14.......Mold number
A........Shift
Interesting....I was using Steve Christ's book on Big Block Fords for decoding the build date.
He said the first four figures are;
Year, Month, Date, and "in plant control number". (which now that I think about it could not be the "person", but most likely the "shift" as you said) :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Interesting....I was using Steve Christ's book on Big Block Fords for decoding the build date.
He said the first four figures are;
Year, Month, Date, and "in plant control number". (which now that I think about it could not be the "person", but most likely the "shift" as you said) :)

Thanks!
Correct

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thanks for asking!
All is perfect with the exception of that H suffix on the engine which I though was funny. Unusual funny not haha funny. :)

The H to me was an indicator that the engine had been replaced shortly after the purchase but then I read the short block build date on the engine block, and it indicates it's definitely the original block.

VIN indicates;

Saint Louis, Missouri
Galaxie 500 2-Door Fastback
8 cyl 352cid 2v 220 hp

Warranty tag:

Two door fastback bench seat
Chestnut Metallic with a chestnut interior
Assembled on March 19th
3/1 rear end
Cruise-o-matic.

Ford was cutting that one fine as the casting of the block would of still been warm between the 3rd to the scheduled build date of car.

Merry Xmas:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts