Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking at my barnfind 65 Country Sedan 390 3sp/OD and snapped this photo of what appears to be a collar on the pinion yoke, 9inch rear. What is it/is it for?

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
if you look right above it... there's a bracket and a rubber bumper at bottom of floor...
so that if you over load car or hit a bad pothole ,that collar will hit rubber bumper and keep car from completely bottoming out...

bump stop....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome! Thanks guys, that kills 2 birds with one stone. This is my first Galaxie but I've owned lots of other fords and have never seen the harmonic balancer.

So my next question is if you dropped 3.89s in the pumpkin, would you keep the harmonic balancer? Obviously I'll keep the snubber....

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
It's a harmonic damper.
+1. There are certian ratios of gears that are prone to cyclic vibration 3.00:1 is one of the worst, and probably the gear you have. The factory used dampers on the rear axle pinion, driveshaft (3 types I know of), trans extension, and of course the engine. Different model/gear/engine and transmission combinations were more susceptible than others, and are the ones you see with dampers in various locations.

David

[EDIT] PS: Forgot your question - the 3.89 gears have 35 ring teeth and 9 pinion teeth. As there is no common factor in those numbers, that ratio is generally not prone to harmonics. You can ditch the damper, although it does no harm to leave it there if in good condition.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts