Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the oil in my 289 windsor today and noticed on the magnetic drain plug all these little bits of what looks like metal.

When I put my hand in the oil and removed it it looked like fine sort of gold dust in the oil.

When I touched the metal shavings on the drain plug, it turned in to what looks and feels like graphite grease/powder.

I suspected a few months ago that my engine may have wiped a cam lobe or two..............From what I have seen today would/could that be a tell tale??

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Cut the filter open and see what's in there. That'll tell you real quick what the deal is.

·
Registered
712 Posts
That's what the magnet is there for, a little oil/metal (graphite looking crud) is normal. As for the gold-ish particles, what dizzy gear are you running, is it brass? This could explain a lot, you can always get a FilterMag or equivalent, and put it on a new filter, then cut the filter open after your normal oil drain interval to see exactly how much metal is going through the oil.
Just a thought, Chris.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cannot remember what dizzy gear I have.

I just cut the filter open and could find bugger all of anything except dirty looking cardboard.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I am betting a couple bucks that you wiped a cam bearing right out and the gold is copper not brass....

FE

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Dumb question. Is brass magnetic?

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Nope, neither is copper or aluminum. You will have some metal slime, is more like it, from cylinder wear, cam/lifter wear at breakin. How many iles on the engine and what made you suspect a wiped cam lobe?

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Sounds like bearing material to me.
Probably normal wear.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Sounds normal. How does it run?? Any strange noises??

If it has a bronze dist. gear, there is your answer.

Is oil pressure good??

Don't think it would be a "cam bearing". Why would it wipe out??

Is this a new installation?? Cam could of went away. But, the adjustment will be off and if you eye ball the rockers and turn it over by hand you can usually see the one that isn't moving as much as the others[the bad one].

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Normal crud, every engine I have with a mag drain plug in it does this

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
If you're rebuilding it the question really don't matter... The issue will be removed if you do a rebuild on it....

·
Registered
712 Posts
Not if it is normal wear on the engine.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I am betting a couple bucks that you wiped a cam bearing right out and the gold is copper not brass

noticed on the magnetic drain plug all these little bits of what looks like metal.

nuff said

READ THE ????

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
yeah... steel/iron is the only metal used in an engine that is magnetic. And theres some nickel in the iron. That's magnetic too.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
The only metal you will find on the magnet is iron and steel. The color comes from oxidation of iron and the color of the oil. Bearing material is lead, copper and babbit; none of which is magnetic. There is some normal wear of rings and cylinder walls that will show up on the magnet. If there is a half an ounce of metal on the magnet then it would show that you have flattened a cam lobe but long before that you are going to have clacking and missing to show for the wear.
I recommend that if you haven't had any symptoms just change the oil and filter and run it. Check the metal content at the next oil level and see if it changes. As long as the engine is running good then just keep good clean oil in it.
Paul

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Gold would be the valve guides assuming they are bronze. I can't think of anything else in there that would be gold colored.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts