Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car up for sale is a 1969 mustang owner claims its done up as a 70 Boss 302.

What do you think? sound shady? or legit.

This how he's listing it,

1969 Ford Mustang

1969 Boss 302 1970 Tribute Grabber Orange

Ford : Mustang 2 door | eBay

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Uh - pass. Without the apron VIN for verification, it may be a stolen car with swapped VIN plates. That is more common than folks like to think. "No warranties, no returns, as-is where-is, cash please." Since it's not a BOSS 302, the engine is likely a standard 2v 302 (Windsor) with 351c 2v/351m or 400 smog heads bolted-on. It may run like total crap besides, with horrible compression and who know what. I'm not trying to beat it up, but I've seen plenty of "gosh, I'm not sure..." ads to be very wary of them. At best, I would treat it as a shell to re-engine, and watch for a twisted or rusted-out floor pan if it's really a re-sheeted '69 (check that apron!). You don't replace every body panel in a car without reason. You must know what that reason was before you bite.

If considering it, I would do a personal inspection - with a knowledgeable buddy or two as cheap insurance. Who knows, it could be a really good buy if you know what you're getting. If you can't you could potentially lose both teh cash and the car.

David

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Ah, good catch. He didn't even try to "tribute" the engine. So, it's a stockish 1970 Mustang with the smallest V8 and a recent paint job and BOSS decals. I'd say it should go for whatever a '70 302 Mustang books-out at - if there is no title hanky panky or '69 chassis with rust-out or damage. Might be a nice car for someone, but again, just emphasizing buyer beware.

David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts