Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what everyone think of street racing? Does anybody do? Just asking the goverment in canada is try to pass a law , if you get caught you loose your lisence for life! I think that is a bit stiff the first time around.

·
Registered
119 Posts
That does seem a bit harsh. Hell, harsh would be just losing your license for a year. Then maybe 2nd offense lose license for MORE, and LOSE the car.............just think of the repercussions, insurance payment wise..........yikes......................

·
Registered
128 Posts
what is the penalty for drunk driving there? Just curious, because it is assinine for the penalty for street racing to be higher than that for drunk driving, if that would be the case.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First time it is a year and 920 buck second time it is 3 years 1500 buck and two weeks in jail. I was caught back in 2001 on my four wheeler and it is the same deal as if i were driving a car. Its was the longest year of my life having my wife drive me around. But i did learn a good lesson in life!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I used to street race but not like the idiots you see today.We used to go to deserted industrial lots or old country roads and race in the wee hours of the morning 2-4 am or so when there was no traffic...We would pair off and drag race for 1/4 mile,no money just bragging rights...Nowadays it's jerks swerving in and out of traffic and killing lots of innocent folks...I don't like the idea of losing your license for life for street racing on first the offence but the politicians are really trying to look like they are cracking down on what has become a pretty big problem.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
in california for peeling out you will lose your car, and never get it back. same goes for racing. this is a new law, a year and a half ago peeling out would just get you a ticket.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
My story is pretty much the same as Frdnut's. The problem with the law as with many laws here in Ontario is that they are too widely sweeping leaving it up to interpretation usually of the officer ( The kid with a gun and an attitude it seems to be more and more). Squaking your tires is street racing apparently in California and I see Ontario being exactly the same. You get tarred with the same brush regardless of what has transpired. It's black or white no degrees and that is wrong. It just tells me that the policy makers are not in possession of all the facts and are making a knee jerk "Get my name in the paper, look good people we are doing something about this menace on our streets" type BS law we are passing. We all drive souped up tuner car Hondas and drive like idiots apparently.
What they need to do is stop cherry picking speeders on WIDE OPEN ROADS to fill ther coffers and start going after the suspender wering jerks in their BMW's and Mercedes etal weaving in and out of rush hour traffic on the 400 series highways. Stu

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Truckstopcowboy, are you sure of that ??? that scares the hell out of me- I guess "let the punishment fit the crime" is dead ?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i should tell you guys , its an hour drive from town where we go. Its 30 miles of woods on each end off the road and no traffic at all, so its a pretty safe spot. And it is also a bunch of old guys no kids aloud to go.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
So what about people with lockers who go around corners? So are they going to lose their driving priveleges in CA because they have a locking rear end and it made a chirping noise?

1969 Mustang Mach 1 4spd 351W, (temp)302
1997 Cobra RIP 4V Motor
1970 Dodge Charger R/T 440+6 4spd
2002 SVT Lightning, K&N, Trac bars, 555Rs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 19mach69 on 9/3/06 8:20am ]</font>

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
If you get a cop in a bad mood, its entirely possible.

I had a cop threaten my friend and I with jail time for doing e-brake turns in a private parking lot. He sent the ticket to a traffic lawyer and it "dissappeared" for 20 bucks.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
On 2006-09-02 17:18, 19mach69 wrote:
So what about people with lockers who go around corners? So are they going to lose their driving priveleges in CA because they have a locking rear end and it made a chirping noise?
I got pulled over in Oregon one time for that. It went something like this

Officer: Do you know why I pulled you over?
Me: No
Officer: Your tires squealed when you went around that corner
Me: Yeah, they do that, I have a locker
Officer: Well, just be careful then.....you might hit an oil slick and spin out of control
Me: Ok......
Officer: Have a nice night

So I guess all you have to worry about if you have a locker is an oil slick???

I've been keeping my eyes open for "oil slicks" but I haven't seen any yet.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Me and a bunch of guys went out racing today. It is the last time i am going to do it. Someone called the cops on us. I was the first one to leave and i meet thecops coming about 10 miles from where we were racing , he turned and followed me for about three miles and then stoped me. He walks up to my cars and said i guess the race is over.He then tells me he stoped me for speeding at 5 over the limit and give me a fine for 168 bucks! Then he tells me that if he would have caught me in a race he was going to fine me for reckless driving, i asked what is the fine and he said at the least one year with no lisence! So i guess i spent 200 bucks today and almost got in big ****. I could have trailered my car to the track which is a three hour drive and had a lot more fun all day instead of an hour for the same amount of money and nothing to worry about! So i guess what i am saying i have learned a good lesson before i got in a big mess!!! So boys and girls use your head and go to the track!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Yep. I can't stress that more. I'm not saying I'm never going to get a little unfriendly with anyone on the street, but I just have to realize that whatever happens was my own stinking fault. I'd rather hold out for the track and be able to race over and over without constantly looking over my shoulder. Plus, you get much better traction.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have been talking to most of the guys that were there and they all are done street racing after how close we all were to getting caught. The cop told me that we all were going to get nailed if he would have gotten there before we left. So all the boys agree its time to drive the three hours and go to the track so there is no trouble!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Three hours to the nearest track...wow!! There are two tracks in my area. One is 20 minutes away and the other is abot an hour. I no longer drive to the hour away track because I think that's pretty far to drive and back with a 3700 stall converter. If there wasn't this 20 min. away track, I wouldn't be racing at all anymore because I don't have a trailor OR truck nor can I afford both of them to haul my ride to.
Makes me realize how lucky I am to have a close dragstrip.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts