Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a trackion lock for my 9", now I can put it back together. I have 3.25:1 gears now and thinkg of going to 3.50:1 gears. Now is the time to do it, while it's apart.

I have heard that the 3.50 gearing is a good combo for my ride, 351C 4V, C6, 9", 275/60 r15 T/A's.

here are my questions;
1- Summit has gears in their catalog, should I get theirs ($132.69), or they also offer Richmond Gears ($162.95)?

2- seeing how I'm putting in a rebuilt trac loc and new gearing, do I need to buy the whole installation kit ($87.99)?

3- are the splines on the yolk the same? or will I have to buy a drive shaft yolk? I know they have different size u-joints.

4- I've heard it's a slam dunk, take it apart, add new parts, put back together. Is it that easy?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
283 Posts
Gearing will depend on what you are doing with the car. If you're just cruising on the street, then keep your 3.25. If you hit the strip occasionally, then go steeper, like at least a 3.70. IMHO, I'd spend the $30 extra for the Richmonds, I have NO idea where summit gets theirs, maybe USA, maybe China. Maybe they'll tell you who makes 'em for them. You will need the complete install kit, which should have all new bearings, seals, crush cone, and gear marking compound. Most 9" gearsets have a 28 spline yoke. Just ask to make sure. And BTW, this is NOT a "slam it together" project. It will require setting the pinion depth, gear mesh, and preload of the bearings. I'd find someone to do it, because the tools alone will cost you far more than haveing someone set it up. Make sure you use the posi additive with your gear lube. Most lubes say they are for posi rears, but I've never found one that didn't cause my rear to chatter. Always had to add the lube supplement. Oh, one more thing. The driver's side of the locker has 2 sections of splines in it, make sure they are lined up before you install it into the housing, use your axle, and double check it visually.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hemikiller on 3/16/02 12:53am ]</font>

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have had experience with setting up gears.
The only Summit gear I have ever used had a failure of the pinion threads. It appeared to be soft. The nut ate it up like it was made from putty. When confronted with the failure, Summit offered me a replacement, or $50 off the price of a Richmond gear. I took the discounted Richmonds. There is much more involved setting up a gear than R&R. Use a pro. It will be worth the $. On the subject of changing ratio's. I wouldn't bother to change from a 3.25:1 to a 3.50:1 . Unless you are usingthe car on a drag strip with timing equipment , there isn't enough difference to make it worth while. Change to a 3.70:1.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Hemikiller, I'll spend the extra $'s for quality. I didn't think it was that easy, I do have someone that has the knowlage. 28 spline yolk, good, I'll double check before I order.

3.70 gears, ok, I will be going to a taller tire, so this could be better for me.

Thanks again..........

·
Registered
698 Posts
Slick, I've been told that the 9" comes with 3 different sized bearings. Measure yours prior to ordering.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks RPM, do you mean the axle?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks, I'd hate to get all the parts and have the wrong kit.

thanks all

·
Registered
170 Posts
I took my Summit's to my rear end builder and he refused to use them. He said the pinion wasn't right. He said the dirt track guys around here all used Richmond's so I went with them instead.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd pay the extra $30 any day, than put in some crap, and re-do everything again when it fails.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
do it right, do it once, get on with something else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts