Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 514 crate for real cheap and havent decided what to put it in yet. FRPP says t a serious bracket race motor. Is this also a streetable motor in crate form? If not, what can i do to it to make it more streetable? It will be on the street 50% of the time with a 3000 stall C6 behind it. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Well,it really depends on what you call "streetable". I dont think I'd like to drive a car with that engine very far, as it does have a mild rough idle. Also, it would require a awesome cooling system to be able to sit in traffic for any length of time. The good side is I'd hate to be the guy lined up next to you at the redlight

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Hey Greg, is the FRPP crate 514 a roller motor?
If the motor is too much for the street, just swap out the cam for something a little milder. Better economy and street manners. But then again....who give's a crap about economy!

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Greg, your patience is prodigious

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok it sounds like the 514 will be streetable. I guess I will just have to wait and decide for myself when I finally fire it up. Just to throw around some ideas, a cam change would be very simple because of the roller cam right? Just slide in a new cam and keep everything else the same? I am thinking (maybe thinking to much here) about changing to a milder cam and swapping intakes to a RPM Performer. Wouldnt this give me more reliability, more driveable on the street, and give me more low end torque where I need it for a heavy car? Anyone have one of those desktop dynos available??? Thanks again.

Chad

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
If you change the cam, you will have to seriously look at the springs. If you change the manifold, you will need to look at the cam and carb. I know what your thoughts are, ...heavy car, hot cam = low torque. Think about how large that motor is? Torque is going to be there. Cam characteristics are a product of volume and velocity, a hot cam in a 302, is a good street cam in a 351, again, with that size motor the cam is not as radical as the spec's make it seem. No, it may not be an easy car to drive, I wouldn't give it to a kid as his/her first car, unless you want the insurance money, but it shouldn't be the monster of your nightmares either. If you are really worried about it, use a smaller carb, keep the air velocity up. It will choke down the top end, increase the bottom-to a point. You may want to look into keeping the short block, sell off the heads, manifold and cam-then you can build the engine into what you need.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts