Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a 347 street fighter from probe. used their cam (1901-11503-b a hyd roller). Re used my old distributor(87 mustang gt)5 break in miles later the gear on the distributor is wasted.The dist turns freely, Used a melling hi vol oil pump The gauge was reading hi at idle.I then used deep 1/4" socket and extension turned pump did not have major resistance.What gives?? Should my dist work? It worked on my 5.0 with a b303 roller cam. any help would be greatly appriciated chris

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Ummmmmm....did you use a distributor gear made for a steel camshaft or one for the cast iron cam? Is the end play on the cam excessive?

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Roller cams are made of "Steel" ...

Flat tappet cams are made of "Iron" ...

Some roller cams have a pressed on band of "Iron" for the distributor drive.

You need to be certain what you have for a "cam drive area" in order to insure you select a distributer gear that is compatible with the cam.

Use of a facroty "Iron" distributer gear on a "Steel" cam won't work ...

You can use a bronze distributer gear with either, but it will be consumed (harmlessly) in any case and must be checked regularly in street use applications.

I hope you don't have too much "waste" iron from the disintigrated distributer gear floating through the engine.

My two cents
Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
First off I would contact them cam manufacturer to see if they require other than stock gear drive.I had the same problem with a crane cam I picked up from summit racing, went through four dist. gears during cam break in. After checking everything it cam down to the cam gears, the pitch or something was off on them. Sent the crane cam back and got an edelbrock RPM cam and have yet to have the problem again.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow thanks guys!! must do research Would a scratch test (like for hardend pushrods) reveal the steel??

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
The only difference between "steel" and iron is that steel has 0.06% carbon to 2% carbon in it. Otherwise they are the same. I do not know about a scratch test, but I know that a hardness tester would reveal it. I hope this helps at least a little bit.

Ben

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Either look at the paperwork that came with your cam ... or contact the manufacturer ... they will be able to point you in the correct direction.

The "Crane" mechanical roller cam in my 351C 4V is (all) steel and used a steel dist gear (which BTW cost about $80.00).

The "Crane" hydraulic roller in my SBC 350 has the pressed on iron gear on the cam and used the factory style iron dist gear.

find out for certain by whatever means is necessary ... you need to get it correct.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
You need to talk to a guy by the name of "Jon". This guy is really well known in the Mustang Mags. He has a vast knowledge of everything about Mustangs. Oh yeah, hire Van Halen and have a party in your back yard, PARTY ON

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RumpityRump on 3/3/02 9:03pm ]</font>

·
Registered
516 Posts
A steel dist gear from Ford Racing Parts is only 29.95 #M-12390-F. It fits all 302/351W EFI w/rollercam and 351W w/Duraspark dist and rollercam. You can probably get it cheaper from Summit or Ramchargers.com.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts