Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be one for Greg Cook. How do you strip the anodized coating off of say my 65 grille? Have called several re-anodizing places and they will not strip or prep the grille . I was told to find a company that strips and preps and then send it to have anodized, but no one seems to recomend anyone to do it. I have heard that easy-off oven cleaner will work and may try it on a peice of junk that is anodized and see what happens.

Thanks in advance,
Travis

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I'm in the same sinking **** boat without a paddle or life preserver. There has to be a place that removes the old anodizing and reanodize also. I can't polish my grill because the polishing wheel will grab ever tiny "grill bar" and tear them off so it has to get stripped without having to get polished. This really suck it seems I am stuck with half ass looking alum anodized trim because I have another unwanted unpopular Ford which nobody makes aftermarket repro parts for. I have been looking for a place too and can't find one. Greg Cook told me about the easy off but you have to polish the aluminum after using easy off and scotch brite and my grill is too fragile for a polisher so it needs to get stripped some other way. My headlight bezels and hood trim at front all need stripped and reanodized. Does anybody know of a company that can do this?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Kent, make sure you keep your mouth closed, so you dont ingest any shitwater

Car Craft April '00 covers this topic. They took their grill on their '63 Falcon to Ano-Brite.

Ano-Brite
6945 Farmdale Ave.
North Hollywood, CA 91605
818/982-0997
http://www.anobrite.com .

Here is the artical http://www.anobrite.com/carcraft.pdf .

1964 Comet 289 C4 daily driver
TFS TW, Weiand Stealth, Comp XE268, Rhodes lifters, TFS roller rockers, Carter 625 AFB, Hooker SuperComps
"These go to 11." -This is Spinal Tap

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragman64 on 1/27/02 6:09pm ]</font>

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just went over to the ano-brite site and it looks like they did some nice work. Did you guy's see the pricing? Large car grille $400-$450
Librandi did tell me about the industrial coating place and I did call them. Of coarse they don't do any prep work but said the anodizing process would not exceed $150-$175. Greg, what did yo mean it was a crap shoot? Is there a chance the work won't suit me? I have several grilles for the 65 and I beleive that I will see how the stripping and polishing process goes here at home if Todd is not interested in doing it.

Thanks for the helpful info. Sure looks like I am not the only one with this problem.

When I do get the thing anodized, hope Greg don't blow by me at the ALL FORD CARLISLE match race and take my anodizing with him!!

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Anobrite is just what I was looking for. Now I can relax for a day or so and be able to get worked up about something else now. Ain't life grand?

·
Registered
359 Posts
do you think some sort of a petroleum solvent might work to strip it?
the only reason you have to polish it after is because easy off is akaling as **** and will corode the **** out of aluminum

if you find a petroleum solvent it won't corode it and then it is ready to be done

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds good to me also. I am about a week away from trying anything.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
I've been pondering a thought on the trim on my car. I've got a few small pieces to experiment with, and I keep wondering how it would look to powder coat with either clear or aluminum colored powder coat. Anyone ever try this? I've had really good luck coating brackets and things like the pulleys and timing cover on my 460. Since my car has glass bumpers that are gonna be silver colored I wonder what the grill and misc. trim would look done the same. Any thoughts?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts