Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I've been doing some reading on this forum and a few other sites, looking for swapping some sort of EFI hyd roller cam engine into a '68 Lincoln along with a 4 speed auto trans and I'd like to run this by you guys. I want to replace the 462 in it for something more common and reliable, not looking for a hot rod but at least some decent power for the amount of fuel it eats. I want to be able to drive on the freeway and cruise to shows reliably and comfortably.
Just as a background on my ability level since I'm new here, I've done a lot of EFI builds and swaps for small block chevy's and I'm an aircraft mechanic...that's not to say I know everything, I just have the basic skill/knowledge/tools to tackle an EFI swap, I just don't know the Ford details, yet.

Here's what I'm thinking of:
--351W based 393 Street Fighter short block(CHP), hydraulic roller cam(nothing picked out but something mild) and roller rocker arms.
--World Castings Windsor Jr. Iron 200cc heads, 2.02/1.60" valves, 58cc combustion chamber
--'94-96 EEC-IV MAF EFI from a bronco or truck
-port/polish/gasket match the intake halves and head/intake ports
--E4OD transmission with an RV/towing converter and clutch packs
--accessories/brackets and most EFI stuff I believe I can get from boneyards, (accessories at least for cores). broncos and f150/250 gas trucks are very plentiful around here.

I've heard to get the Ford Racing EFI conversion book to do the EFI myself. I've swapped an '85 TPI 305/700r-4 into my '56 chevy 210 and I'm really happy with it, not too much of a problem doing the job.

Does it seem like I'm headed in the right direction? What are your thoughts on the Ford computer and EFI intake compared to aftermarket? obviously the aftermarket manifolds flow better but I'm not sure if that's much of a concern as I'm trying to build a mild low rpm stump-puller.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
You have a good starting point there, but may run into some issues...

The truck intake is VERY tall. You will probably need a scoop/cowl hood to clear. You might want to look into a shorter intake like a GT-40 (expensive) or Edelbrock. They still might have clearance issues, but nowhere as severe as the truck.

Watch you compression. With a 393 and 58cc heads, you will need a huge dished piston. I would shoot for 9.5:1 or less with that big heavy car.

injector size will need to be 30# plus.

The E4OD is electronically controlled AFAIK. Im not sure how the 94-96 truck ECM controls it....If those ECM's are ECC-IV, the trans control will be in a seperate computer. The ECC-V and up systems had more controls over ancilary car systems. For swapabilities sake, you might just want to use a 5.0l mustang ECC-IV system and a Baumann Trans controller for the E4OD.

ECC-IV are good systems. Tweecer.com sells a tuner that allows you to tune with your laptop as well as aftermarket stuff costing $100's more.

It sounds like a good project, keep us posted on how its going!

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
You'd be better off using a EEC IV from a 89-93 Stang, AOD tranny, aluminum heads with 60-62cc chambers, Vic. Jr, TFS or Holley intake and a FEAD from a 94-95 5.0 Stang (better packaging).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sounds like good info. so I assume the 89-93 stang EEC IV is an MAF, not MAP?
not sure about the aluminum heads or the AOD tranny. the price difference for aluminum won't be worth it for what I'm looking at doing(I AM a fan of aluminum heads, they're just not for everything...put a set of AFR 180's on a roller EFI 350 and that thing screamed; World Castings S/R Torquer 350 was just about as powerful)
a pretty reputable trans shop in my area along with a few other opinions have recomended against the AOD because of the weight of the car, remember it's a '68 4 door land barge Continental. I know a lot of high power stangs run them but they're half the weight; I've been told that especially the 4th gear can't handle much torque.
Is there something undesirable about the E4OD other than being really big? I don't mind reshaping the floorpan/trans tunnel a little to accomodate.
of the intakes suggested what is more or less the lowest rpm range manifold? I know a big stroker is going to need a little bigger manifold but I'd like to keep the powerband pretty low rpm.
what are some other iron heads that are comparable to the World Castings heads? Are the RHS heads good?

Thanks a lot for your responses, sorry about the basic questions, I'm going through a pretty quick SBF crash course.
Jon

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: greasemonkey56 on 3/13/06 2:17am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The 89-93 5.0 ecm is a MAF system. Check out fordfuelinjection.com for info.

Personally, I think the World Sr. 200 cc iron head would work fine for you. Some folks like aluminum heads-for various reasons, mostly light weight, but with a 4000lb + car, 40lbs weight savings isnt worth it in my opinion.

The GT40 351 intake is a torque monster. Came on 351 Lightning trucks. -For reference, the super long runners of the standard 5.0l intake layout will generate high low-end torque. When we are talking about a stroker 351, just about any of the street type aftermarket intakes will work well. These would include the edelbrock performer, GT40, Trick Flow Track Heat, Holley systemax upper with a truck lower...

I would go with the E4OD-not to go against 1bad88, but an AOD is going to be suffering behind a high-torque stroker and 4000+ lbs. They can be made to work, but would be more expensive than an E4OD in the end.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
C-6 with an overdrive Unit is the way id go if your not going with an AOD but first of all you should not be gunning an AOD in 4th gear i dont care how built it is 2nd of all crown vics and trucks came with AOD's and Crown vic Police cars came with 351w and AOD's but a lincoln is bigger So I would go with a C-6 with a Overdrive unit or a c-4 cause it does not use as much power as a C-6 but the c-4 will need to be built pretty well To handle a 351 from my understanding and you should be OK as far as the EFI im doing it in my 64 Galaxie and im doing Speed Density less headaches cause im a electrical idiot and then once im confident ill move up to MAF but yeah from what ive read 87-93 as far as the engine accesories I would look into newer explorer stuff also.

www.fordfuelinjection.com

www.corral.net

The 2nd link look around on the forums for junkyard 302-351 speed parts they are very knowledgeable no offence FM'ers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.