Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a stroker 392/351 my questions are: 1:should i port my Edelbrock Performer Rpm Heads or are they good enough stock
2: go with a Hydraulic Roller or solid Roller
3: Any one can give me some good cam specs and makes to suite these strokers
( 1968 falcon tremec 3.50 3700# daily driver)

·
Registered
231 Posts
RPM heads are faily mild. They would benefit from some porting considering that they will now be feeding a 392. If you are going to limit your RPM to 6000 - 6200 a hydraulic roller cam will work fine, but if you plan on spinning it over 6500 you'll need a solid cam of some kind. It's pretty hard to recommend a cam without knowing more about how you intend to use the car. Does it need vacuum for power brakes, how much power are you looking for, how important is idle quality and fuel economy, how high are you planning on spinning it, what carb and intake do you have, what is your header size, and what is the rest of your exhaust system comprised of... ??

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
6500 RPM would be no prob, vacum is no problem if it dissapears ill bolt on a vacum tank, no intake or carb yet, header size is 1 5/8" with twin 2 1/2" pipes, 1 muffler on each pipe and i dont give a rats ass about fuel economy

·
Registered
231 Posts
A couple of things became apparent when running your combo through my Performance Trends Engine Analyzer. First, even with ported RPM heads, a Vic Jr intake and lots of cam, the engine is not going to want to spin higher than about 6400 RPM. Second, you don't have nearly enough exhaust flow for an engine like that. On the plus side though, I simulated open headers and it picked up nearly 70 HP. That way, the program predicted over 500 HP at 5750 RPM and over 500 ft/lbs at 4500 RPM with a 244 .576 110 l/s single pattern hydraulic roller cam. Hooked to dual 2 1/2" pipes though the power dropped to 434 HP.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I have basically the exact same engine in my bracket maverick, with the exception of the heads. I used victor jr. heads instead of rpm's. I'm pretty happy with the combo, as even though the heads are box-stock, it still pulls hard to 7200. Vic. Jr. intake, 260/266 @ .050" solid roller .672/.672 lift. Also, it's 11.2:1 compression. I also used 1 3/4 headers instead of the 1 1/2" they had on the shelf, but in my case I had to make them for the maverick. It feels like they're a bit restrictive, and probably are, but that's all that will fit the maverick chassis without MAJOR denting. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I always go back to fords own 393W(or 392W..which ever you prefer to call it)
With what should be way to small heads and less then 10-1 compression it cranks out 460 hp and 470 ft lb of torque. To put that into prespective this engine can out run a factory 428 cj and hang with a 427 med riser. You dont always need "race" parts to have a fast car...especially since the hp return on the dollar usually gets less and less. Supporting the old saying the faster you go...the harder it is to go faster(and more costly). If you take fords 392W and raise the compression to 10.5-1 and go with even slightly better heads you have an engine that puts out right at 500 hp and runs on pump gas. After that things start to get more and more demanding of the pocket book. Im sure Chilly would attest to that as He has built basicly a version of a max street stroker W motor combo. The cheapest 393W(if thats one of your goals) would be to port your existing heads and use a healthy hyd flat tappet cam. Use a hyper piston(making sure you compression is max you can run on available pump gas) stock 351W rods with good rod bolts. Headers have to be at least 1 3/4 long tubes. vic jr intake seems to work well on the 393's even with the "low" rpm shift point of 6000 rpm. Topped of with a at least a 750 cfm holley DP you have a 475-500 hp street stomper. You really cant build one cheaper unless all the parts are used

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dudes thanks millions for your thoughts/idaes and comments,
the short is made of 1994 onwards 351 roller block(factory bench test engine, so clean it looks new) fiited with scat crank and scat h beams fitted to JEs 26cc dish combined with 60cc edelbrocks, if any has any more sugestions please contribute especialy about cams

·
Registered
60 Posts
qtrhors: What parts comprise the 392 that you are describing? I could use that kind of torque in my Bronco.

Dan

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
If you don't have at least 1 car that gets less than 10 per gallon, you ain't livin! We have a set of RPM's going on the bench this weekend & comparing them to V Jr's. Don't think they'll be close. Dyno experience says... get a bigger header, you'll like the extra power.

·
Registered
749 Posts
fzrdan:

take alook at this:

http://www.airflowresearch.com/

click on articles then go to Ford articles and read the "75 hp bolt on" on article. That will give you an idea of what you can do with a 393W.

Here's my "budget" 393W shortblock:
351W block with a 3.85 scat crank, stock rods, and FM pistons pt no H273CP($91.12 a set from summit under sterling pistons). You will need to have it balanced...about 150.00-175.00.

camshaft:

comp cam XE274H(230/[email protected]/.523)
a hyd flat tappet cam that will make great torque in a 393W 4x4 application)

induction:
weiand stealth intake with a holley or edelbrock 750 cfm carb.

exhaust:
try to find 1 3/4 long tubes and use all mandrel bent 2.5 pipe and mufflers.

cly heads:
here is the most important part of any engine built for increased hp and torque. Its also the most debated
The best head for the dollar is the twisted wedge TFS head...its also the cheapest head that fits your application. Next up would be the edelbrock vic jr. Either one of those will give you about 10.25-1 compression with that piston. The vic jr will give you abit more power with this combo and have potential to build as wild as you want to go later on. Aftermarket cly heads may not seem like a "budget" part but they are basicly a must have part for a stroker W motor. This combo above with make 450+ hp and 450+ ft lb of torque with ease and is cheaper then the ford 393w and simple to build. Some may think those pistons may not be up to the task. I have run those pistons in the 351w version for 4 yrs with no probs and for a 6000 rpm max engine they will work fine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
qtrhors: Thanks for the help. I gotta start searching for parts

Dan

·
Registered
131 Posts
fzrdan

check archives under the stroker subject for sellers of 396 kits. OR I can list most of them for you.

·
Registered
131 Posts
fzrdan

check archives under the stroker subject for sellers of 396 kits. OR I can list most of them for you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When people look at me weird and say why do you drive V8s, its because i love them, and like i say, thank god for 4 cylinder drivers, they were put here to save petrol for V8s

·
Registered
60 Posts
xe460. I don't know... I've got a four banger that gives people a good run for their money. And less than 150 hp! (ok... it only weighs 490 lbs).

Dan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts