Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Briefly, my first pro built 347 stroker put out 425hp/408 ft.lbs on the dyno & sounded just wicked. Once in the car tho, a nasty Clackity,clackity noise, coming from the pass.side drove me crazy, although it went away once the engine got to temp. After much listening , changing out the roller rockers to a new set of Scorpions, & adjusting, no change.
Not to worry the builder said, just piston slap caused by all forged internals (pistons) but, after 100 miles or so, when i let my foot off the go pedal, a slight clackity, clackity noise reared its head no matter what speed.
The shop agreed to tear it down , just for a look, but found nothing amiss, except for a slight graze on the front counterweight & a matching mark on the windage tray.
Theory being, the crank just kissing the tray until the parts warmed up. The engine is being put back together now & i'm hoping its all good, but, i won;t know until its back in the car of course.
This teardown was on the builder, thank you very much. Keep in mind the clackity noise didn;t rear its ugly head on the first round on the dyno, not until it was nesting in the engine bay, with mufflers & all hooked up.
Should i spring for another round on the dyno before i reinstall?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your right, Builder says - Allot of these things don;t appear until there are mufflers on the motor, so as you say, dyno may be a waste of money.
And, we did have to relieve the timing cover, there was a oval wear pattern on it, very odd. I STILL feel noise was valve train related as it seemd to be coming from the top end, but, nothing found out of wack with rockers, spider, lifters. Going back in the car, get her going again before we attempt the EFI bolt on

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
And, we did have to relieve the timing cover, there was a oval wear pattern on it, very odd.
Uh, did you measure the cam end-play with the thrust plate properly torqued? That's not good and can cause noises and/or damage all through the valve train.

David

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cam end play, well of course a reputable builder would check that, um, maybe i better make that call right now!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts