Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a 351 W block that is Magnafluxed and cleaned (standard bore). Pro Comp 210 cc heads with 62 cc chambers (bare with new 2.02 and 1.60 valves) and a Comp Cams K kit (part @ K35-427-8) that is new in the box. 242/248 @.50 .576/.600 lift .

The guy wants $1100.00 for it.

I have a 1969 Mustang Mach 1 with the original 351W comp cams 280H 8.5:1 forged pistons factory home ported heads, headers, alum intake, 650 DPumper, etc....

This is a 99% street car with the occasional jaunt down the 1/8 mile.

If I ordered a rotating assembly from CHP or one of the other's for a 408 I could have a complete motor for around $4000.00 - $5000.00.

I would pull the items such as timing cover, waterpump, intake, carb, headers etc.. off the current 351W to go on the new motor.

What do you guys think????

Chris

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
You have to look at exactly what you are getting and price it out..
Is the block ready to go or does it also need more machine work?(boring,decking align honing etc)..
Bare Pro Comp heads are probably not worth all that much..I would guess around the $5-600 dollar range..In the end they won't work as well as name brand heads..
Camshaft may or may not meet your needs depending on the rest of the build..

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I'd find a set of AFR 205's for it and buy the 427 stroker kit for it. The block will need some clearance work I'm pretty sure so when it's in for that have it all checked out - if you buy it. You might even want to at least have it looked over before you buy if he'll let. I could be that after cleaning and magna fluxing they founds "issues" and didn't go forward with it. I think that's what frdnut might have been getting at.

I can tell you my experiance with CHP was nothing but good from start to finish. I bought a short block (347 Pro Street version) from them as well as Scorpion roller rockers, timing chain and balancer. I also took their advice on cam selection (a Comp roller) and it worked out really well I think.

They were also very helpful even after the sale. I called them a few times with general and specific questions about the build since it was the first time I'd actually assembeled an engine by myself. If I was in the market, I'd buy another short block or complete motor from them for sure.

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts