Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a C4 tranny just to have on hand in case I need a spare. Tried to pull the input shaft out, but it seems to be stuck. I can move it about 1/2" in or out, but thats it. Any ideas why it's stuck or the best way to remove it?

Not sure what it was hooked to, but it has a small block v8 bellhousing on it.
Case has a D4 designation and it's a case fill. The tag attached to the "A" servo has PEE DN, D7DLA, and B25B on it. any clues as to what it was hooked to?

Thanks...Matt

·
Registered
347 Posts
Input probably got jammed hard into the output shaft and flared the end enough to hang up in the forward drum.

Another possibility is that the forward drum is cracked and/or the splines are stripped.

Best way to remove it so as not to cause further damage is to remove the front end of the transmission then remove it from the drum after separating the forward drum from the rest of the front end. That is assuming that my guesstimate is correct.

Regardless of why it is stuck, the safest way is to remove the front end and separate whatever parts will separate before trying to remove the shaft. Using any other method puts you at risk of damaging other parts, ESPECIALLY THE STATOR SHAFT PART OF THE PUMP.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just picked up a C4 tranny just to have on hand in case I need a spare. Tried to pull the input shaft out, but it seems to be stuck. I can move it about 1/2" in or out, but thats it. Any ideas why it's stuck or the best way to remove it?

Not sure what it was hooked to, but it has a small block v8 bellhousing on it.
Case has a D4 designation and it's a case fill. The tag attached to the "A" servo has PEE DN, D7DLA, and B25B on it. any clues as to what it was hooked to?

Thanks...Matt
'77 Granada with 302

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
What mmerlinn said - sounds like the shaft was installed backwards and has peened the end over. Been there, had to deal with that.

·
Registered
347 Posts
What mmerlinn said - sounds like the shaft was installed backwards and has peened the end over. Been there, had to deal with that.
Can't install the input shaft backwards on a 1977.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Could if they used a 70 shaft. Get your mouth off that transmission, you don't know where it's been. ;)
Not unless they ALSO changed the forward drum.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I'm thinking seized stator support bushings.

In any event you will have to yank the pump.
I tend to agree Stuart. I have seen a few shafts rusted in place. That means new bushings and a new shaft.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
I think you haven't pulled hard enough....

Yank that bugger. I had a C-4 that was piss hard to pull the shaft out of but it was SPOT ON on the internals with no rust... Just HARD Rubber O-rings to deal with.

I'm sure there's not going to be any rust on the tip when you get it out. But I HATE to contradict Paul, because he REALLLLLLLY Knows his trannies!

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Not unless they ALSO changed the forward drum.
Have to look in my shaft stash for a 26/26. I'll bet my brain is stuck thinking about the 26/24 input shaft, eh?

I picked up 3 spare C4s from a yard about two years ago for parts. One of them was 100% packed with red mud and water when I opened it. Never did figure out how that happened. But the input shaft slid right out. It was one of the few parts salvageable from that unit.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
FE,
no rubber o-rings on the input shaft of a C4 the last time I looked. It just rides in two bushings and the drum.
Might it have a welded input shaft/drum?
That was the "fix" a while back for a few of the performance builders.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think you haven't pulled hard enough....

Yank that bugger. I had a C-4 that was piss hard to pull the shaft out of but it was SPOT ON on the internals with no rust... Just HARD Rubber O-rings to deal with.

I'm sure there's not going to be any rust on the tip when you get it out. But I HATE to contradict Paul, because he REALLLLLLLY Knows his trannies!
I’m having the same issue. I removed the bell housing and put vice grips on the input shaft and beat it from the back trying to beat the shaft out.
I keep beating the vice grips off. That thing is stuck on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts