Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I though this up while I was looking a electric cooling fans.
Ok, here is my idea.
Please point out key facts that I miss, so I do not get too excited.
I have a hood scoop on my car (non Ramair) and it is not functional. It is just for looks. I want to cut a hole in my hood to make it a ram air set-up. I would cut it to shaker scoop specs so I don't entirly waste the hood if I get a shaker some day.
Here is the good part.
I would buy a electric fan, like Summit part # prm-19010 and mount it directly under the hole in the hood. I would wire a switch to inside the car. When I Needed it, it would be just like a powerfull ram-air.
The only problem that I could think of is getting the carb adjusted right, so it would not lean it out when it kicks in. Also clearence might be an issue also.
Please post with your ideas on the idea.
It would be much cheaper that a shaker!
Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
280 Posts
There have been numerous thoughts on this in the past (try searching this site for electric supercharger perhaps).
The short answer is there is no electric fan than can create boost and still run from 12V.
The biggest radiator type fan pushes about 2500cfm without interference. It cannot create boosted air pressure though as the blade design, fan speed and motor torque simply cant deliver whats required.
If electric fans could deliver any appreciable boost no-one would spend thousands on belt driven SC or TC's.

·
Registered
216 Posts
That is a shame...it sounded like a good idea. Now, what about taking a cilinder of compressed air (2200 psi) and conecting it to the air cleaner in some way. Would that work?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Fxcomet,

That's pretty much what the top fuel dragster guys do. Just in liquid form.

Dale302

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I actually thought I saw a link on a reply on this forum about a compressed air setup on a top feul alcohol car. it was experimental of course and they had multiple cylinders plumbed through a pressure regulator into a sheetmetal FI manifold. If you think about it, you would get compressed air (boost) without supercharger belt drag or a turbo exhaust restriction. It would also be fully adjustable from 0-whatever psi the motor could handle. You could even run a higher O2 mix and get more power. Also, since the charge would be so dense and so cold, no intercooler would be nessesary, detonation would be reduced, more timing could be used, more power. Interesting setup. only problem would be lugging around a couple hunred pounds of cylinders and the regualtor equip. etc. Very interesting. As i remeber, they actually had a working car and it made ungodly hp.

·
Registered
46 Posts
On 2002-05-06 19:29, labzerpa wrote:
That is a shame...it sounded like a good idea. Now, what about taking a cilinder of compressed air (2200 psi) and conecting it to the air cleaner in some way. Would that work?
On 2002-05-06 21:21, ChicoB wrote:
I actually thought I saw a link on a reply on this forum about a compressed air setup on a top feul alcohol car. it was experimental of course and they had multiple cylinders plumbed through a pressure regulator into a sheetmetal FI manifold. If you think about it, you would get compressed air (boost) without supercharger belt drag or a turbo exhaust restriction. It would also be fully adjustable from 0-whatever psi the motor could handle. You could even run a higher O2 mix and get more power. Also, since the charge would be so dense and so cold, no intercooler would be nessesary, detonation would be reduced, more timing could be used, more power. Interesting setup. only problem would be lugging around a couple hunred pounds of cylinders and the regualtor equip. etc. Very interesting. As i remeber, they actually had a working car and it made ungodly hp.
good ideas; but someone has already done this and decided to use nitrous oxide since it is a lot safer since pure oxygen is extremely flammable. Nitrous isnt flammable unless mixed with fuel and heated; then the oxygen seperates from the nitrogen and the system basicly acts like what you guys are talking about, only safer and kits are already massproduced

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Oxygen injection seems to be the obvious choice... Why did they ever come up with nitrous injection? Why not just inject the engine with oxygen instead of nitrous? You get more oxygen. It should work BETTER!!

Well, here's the problem with straight oxygen injection. It WAS tried before nitrous. Problem was, engines melted down. A nitrous oxide molecule consists of two nitrogen molecules and one oxygen. Under conditions of high temperature and pressure, the molecule breaks apart, freeing the oxygen for combustion. This 'breaking apart' absorbs heat from the combustion chamber, keeping the engine from melting down.

Straight oxygen is just too much.

......just a little trivia

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
When the nitrous in sent into the engine it breaks up into 2 parts oxygen, 1 part nitrogen. I all actuality you are putting oxygen in the engine, this is why fuel enrichment is required. There are a ton of techinical explanations, but you are injecting oxygen.

·
Registered
904 Posts
what if you just use regular compressed air and not pure o2? wouldnt you still get a "boost" and wouldnt it be safer than pure o2. you could even have a small compressor to fill the tank back up. Isnt nitrous illegal on the street?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wouldn't the plain air just lean out your mixture and make it seem like you were going faster, but actually you were hurting your engine?

·
Registered
672 Posts
On 2002-05-07 12:34, HitmanKB wrote:
Isnt nitrous illegal on the street?
When I got pulled over one time, the cop and I started talking about cars (he was a Mopar guy) and he said that nitrous is not illegal on the streets here in AZ . Said he had it on his 65' Dart, "as long as you are not speeding" is what he said.

·
Registered
355 Posts
If you're talking about pre carb, then leaning out isn't a problem. You would likely only blow a bunch of extra air out the cleaner housing unless you plugged them somehow and then you'd need to run your cylinder all the time or the engine would get no air and die. If you're talking about post-carb (or throttle body - can't remember if your car's injected) then you need fuel enrichment. Nitrous is what you are looking for. O2 will melt your engine, air by itself has a very high pressure and simply acts like a boost device.

Using air or O2 sounds like an experiment for the White Sands Nuclear Test Site. Let me know when you hook it up so I can watch it from a distance.

Compressed air cylinders are heavy and a typical tank with 2200 lbs of pressure would likely kill anything within a quarter mile it if blew up. Just think what would happen if you got in an accident with that tank. Besides, the cost of nitrous should be less than the cost of air or O2 bucause of the pressures involved. Don't forget your life insurance premium.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts