Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting the 302 together tonight and sheared a screwdriver tip trying to move a rod journal over the make room for the last piston to go in. I said to my 16 year old son, "well, this is #8 piston and so far so good. Lets button this bad boy up.".

So, in dropping her in, the rod hung up on #4 so i tryed moving it over BY PRYING IT OVER WITH A SCREWDRIVER! STUPID!!!! Well, to make the stupidity worse, knowing a small tip of the screwdriver was missing, i proceeded with putting the cap on hand tight. We found a small piece of it on the ground and assumed that was all of it. Then went to turn the engine over to check the rotation and it wouldnt budge. I knew right that second what was up. Took #8 back out to find a small piece between the bearing and the crank. Yeehaw. Good times. Live and learn i suppose.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Good deal ya found it . Place some oil on the bearing before ya replace it and remove the rest to do the same. Drill 2 holes on either side of piston and fine cloth polish the wrist pin
Thats what I was told first time I built my first motor, lol

Attachments

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I was 19 out of school working my butt off and bought stuff ,resold . I had been buying 427 stuuf for a couple years and finally a mud truck buddy sold me his tunnelwedge and carbs so had all parts.
My brother-in-law said he was not turnning a bolt on motor but he would show me step by step and I put it together, a blessing to learn I was. So he had me emory cloth going around and around writ pins till they dropped through piston and onto next. He had me drill a hole on either side of pistons at ring grooves I beleive so the oil would get there better. Many other things but anyway he stated building the motor loose it would rotate better and run a bit faster.
He is dead now but made me put all together, replaceing a backwards piston . Said that motor would kill me in future and he was not putting it in a 54 ford 2 door. I put it in after hooker sent me headers under peecan tree,lol. I got number one up ,set distrib in as he pulled up. I had distrub in 180 degree off but still cranked. Not a rookie just never done stuff and the will to learn is what drives us. There are leaders and followers on this planet . Followers wake up so leaders can take thir money, lol

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I was 19 out of school working my butt off and bought stuff ,resold . I had been buying 427 stuuf for a couple years and finally a mud truck buddy sold me his tunnelwedge and carbs so had all parts.
My brother-in-law said he was not turnning a bolt on motor but he would show me step by step and I put it together, a blessing to learn I was. So he had me emory cloth going around and around writ pins till they dropped through piston and onto next. He had me drill a hole on either side of pistons at ring grooves I beleive so the oil would get there better. Many other things but anyway he stated building the motor loose it would rotate better and run a bit faster.
He is dead now but made me put all together, replaceing a backwards piston . Said that motor would kill me in future and he was not putting it in a 54 ford 2 door. I put it in after hooker sent me headers under peecan tree,lol. I got number one up ,set distrib in as he pulled up. I had distrub in 180 degree off but still cranked. Not a rookie just never done stuff and the will to learn is what drives us. There are leaders and followers on this planet . Followers wake up so leaders can take thir money, lol
drilling the hole as you did , done very little ot nothing to lube the pin .
now if the drilled hole went from back oil ring groove into the piston pin bore , that would lube the pin
sorry about your brother in law . still with you in memories

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
OP , if you need a tool to slide a rod over thats been installed , better do some more checking . should have slide over with just the hand .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts