Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought to myself, what would happen if someone replaced their rear shocks with coilovers, while leaving the leafsprings intact. I have no idea what would happen. what do you guys think,

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have thought about this too. In the end, you have spent a lot of money, put way too much stress on the upper shock mount, and probably have an unbearably stiff ride.

Of course this could all be overcome if you can dial in the spring rates and beef up the shock mounts. Fact is though, the main benefit of swapping to coilovers is in getting different suspension geometry. If you are stepping up to coilovers, go all the way and put in a 4-bar. (My 2 cents.)

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
it would be waaaaaaaayyyyyyyy toooooooo stiff unless you left all but the one leaf to position the rear end and a light spring on the coil over...........but....you might end up with binding of the rear end movement with two different setups.....

now, you might cut the one long leaf off behind the axle and use it as a locating device for the rear axle and get away with the coil overs......

on edit and more thought....the above would need an 'over-ride' traction bar to keep the housing from rotating/flexing the one partial spring.....

the only way you are going to know or maybe satisfy yourself is try it? And remember, this how early hot rodders came up with new inventions and ideas that worked when no aftermarket companies existed.....they tried something out in left field and it either worked or didn't......

on edit.....so like the guy above mention, go all out and 4-link it with coil overs or forget it....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Just Strokin on 5/17/02 3:03am ]</font>

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I put coil overload shocks on the back of my 71. Ride isnt all that stiff, but the 71 mustang is a bit heavier than most. IT really helps when I have a full car (which is often, all my friends would rather be in the stang than any of their cars, even though it has no A/C) Plus it helps in the handleing department. Also improved the stance of the car, giving about 1 inch of lift to the rear.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I had a '69 Cobra Torino someone welded coil springs in between the rear & the frame!!! It's better to run just the coilovers & back-half the car instead of getting way too much bounce

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I suspected, this doesnt seem to be a good idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts