Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's just say you had an extra black and decker electric leaf blower handy. And then you were to purchase a DC to AC converter and install it under your hood. Then what if you were to plug the leaf blower into the converter, mount it under your hood and rig it so that it's air output was connected via a sealed duct to your carburator. I think you see where this is going...Or maybe if you had a ram air cleaner like the one used in project 11.99, you could hook up dual leaf blowers to the ram air intakes...

Someone please tell me why this won't work to add maybe 3-4 pounds of boost. This sounds so stupid but I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work. Stop me before I waste an afternoon trying to rig this up.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I think Red Green tried this on The Handyman's Corner. He used plenty of duct tape and it blew up.

·
Registered
521 Posts
hahah... ihave no clue if it would work or not but it sure sounds funny

·
Registered
330 Posts
That does't sound like too bad of an idea! I do not see why it would not work. Just be sure to tune the carb so you do not run it too lean. Heck, I just may have to spend a saturday trying that myself! :^) LMK how it goes if you try it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm starting to think there might be something to this. I think the www.electricsupercharger.com sounded a bit shady though. And was hoping it might provide a little more boost than that. I think I'd go with the custum build if I where to try anything at all.

·
Registered
100 Posts
there was that electric blower they advertised on TNN a year or two ago. Haven't heard of it lately.

If the "E Ram" makes 4 hp on a 4 banger Honda, it probably wouldn't even do more than stir the intake air on a normal engine.

You might be better off just holding the key to the crank position... the starter will give you the extra power

Tom (of Ring Gear World and Starter City)

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Wouldn't 2 give you 8 pounds of boost??!!! Hot diggity dawg!!! OOOHHH wait, now what about the extra drag from your alternator being all cranked up? Would you need to run two alternators to power the units? HHHMMMMmmmm...
In theory it sounds like fun.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now your talking. With the defroster pumping and the dual leaf blowers my car would surely be untouchable. What if I rigged my windshield washer pumps near the carb to squirt octane booster???

·
Registered
37 Posts
I hate to burst your bubble here, but I am Electrical Engineer and I can tell you there are a few problems with this leaf blower idea though technically speaking it is possible.

1. Do you have a spare 1000 amp alternater lying around, if so read on?

2. Do you have a leaf blower that has a big enough motor to spin at 50,000 rpm while maintain several psi of pressure? You’re talking a pretty heavy-duty electric motor. Also do you have a leaf blower with a plastic impeller strong enough not to fly apart at 50,000 rpm? If so to all of the above read on.

3. Do you have a big ass power inverter that will fit under your hood and a means to keep it cool. Power inverters are going to generate a fair amount of heat due to inefficiencies of the conversion from 12V DC to 120 AC. If so read on.

4. If you've gotten this far do yourself a favor and buy a belt driven supercharger. It would work better and be cheaper, not to mention eliminating the need for a power inverter the size of a big block.

I think you get the point. If you don't believe me get an engineer with a lot of free time on his hand (i.e. Government worker) to put some math to it. I think you'll find the sizing on the power inverter and electric motor to be ridiculously large to achieve more the negleable results.

I am not trying to be a dark cloud here. Just putting a little reality to it before someone wastes their time and money. Start a saving account instead for a real supercharger and leave the leaf blower to the leafs.

Dale302

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dale302 on 2/13/02 8:54am ]</font>

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dale, You're no dark cloud. Thats the explaination I needed to hear. It makes perfect sense. Now I can finally stop wondering, "what if I try this". Thanks.

Buuuutttt, what if you had a really long extension cord.....

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hey, how about a portable generator. There small enough to fit in your trunk,and you could run a fuel line off your gas tank.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
or a gas pwered generator in the passengerside floorboard???? lmao

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
or a gass powered generator in the passenger side floorboard lmao

·
Registered
660 Posts
I was thinking gas powered blowers...

If not just for the "intimidation factor" of getting out of your car and pull starting them under your hood

1 - 20 of 32 Posts